This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperlinks don't work between applications

Can anybody explain why mailto hyperlinks in Firefox don't activate a new message in my default e-mail program - Thunderbird. This automatic synchronicity, which I'm very accustomed to when using on other computer platforms like Mac OSX or Windows, will only work properly when I'm using Konqueror, KDE's appointed browser. Similarly, http web addresses written into e-mail messages do not activate my chosen browser, Firefox, when triggered by Thunderbird. On the other hand however, if I use KMail instead of Thunderbird the hyperlinks will activate the browser without a problem.

I've also just noticed that the 'send link...' command on the file menu of Firefox also yields no action. Very frustrating, I have to copy and paste everything I want to transfer from the e-mail program to the browser and vice versa. This is very back sliding don't you think? These things should work easily in any modern OS. Although Unix might be the most powerful operating system, a front end GUI like KDE should get these functions working properly so that alternative browsers and e-mail programs can be integrated smoothly. It's a shame, I would like to be more complimentary.

I'm guessing if you change your default browser and e-mail client to something other than Konqueror and KMail, KDE is going to give you a hard time. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Cheers

Re: Hyperlinks don't work between applications

I've heard of others with similar problems. I actually had a similar issue, but it seemed to go away after I went to System Settings --> Default Applications and set Fire Fox as my default Web Browser and Thunderbird as my default e-Mail client. I can't give anything further past that. Hope it helps!

Edit: I also had to reboot after that.

Comment

Cheers Moonrise, I would have expected those system changes would work for me too. Anyway, that's my point, these automations should kick in after you've defined the default application but clearly it isn't in this case. I'm using Kubuntu 8.04, how about you? Maybe it's a version issue.

Comment

8.04 KDE4 remix AMD64

Probably is a version thing since most of those who I saw with similar problems were on 8.04.

Comment

You must edit the configuration file. Try the following link:
          http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...guration+files

Comment

Cheers Tom,

I will try what you suggest but it looks like it will take quite a long time to figure out which changes will be necessary to make considering the massive array of options listed! To be sure I'll let you know if it works.

When I find myself struggling through treacle like this, I return to the feeling that this system is half baked. Am I right or am I right?

I would dearly like a user friendly system where things work without having to spend hours reconfiguring this and that, and spending more hours reading forums and the like to get tips and fixes. Does anyone in the Linux world consider this about users migrating from other OSs. Look at the Mac OS, it is also a Unix system but it underpins a GUI that also works properly. I appreciate that KDE and Gnome do not have the massive financial resources that Apple has going for them but really...

A friend of mine has just advised me to read a book called, "In the beginning there was the command line". Maybe that's the only real option with Linux, the command line.

Well I've had a reasonably good look through the Firefox config file and I give up. This shouldn't be an area where Firefox has to be surgically messed with to get streamlined integration anyway. It should be sorted out by the OS,

Comment

For versions 2.x

Open Firefox.
              Type about:config in the URL box.
              Right-click anywhere in the window to drop down the menu and select New | String
              In the first dialog field, type network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and then thunderbird
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

hooray, that works! Thank you very much. But how do you know something like that? Is it intuition or does Mozilla have a list of recommendations for this sort of thing?

I will try using this method to getting the link going back the other way, from Thunderbird to Firefox.

Best Regards Chas

Comment

Didn't have the entry either, so I added it. No need to trying to figure it out down the road when I forget about this thread.

Comment

While I don't use TB or FF, I picked up the 'fix' in an article in the January 2008 Linux Pro Magazine.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What's odd is both are basically the same camp. You'd think that would be there by default.

Comment

I have tried this and send link is still not working. I'm using Hardy and FF 3 32bit. Thunderbird will open url links with Firefox.
                        any other suggestions?

Thanks
                        Dan

Comment

When you create the mailto entry in about:config use the complete path to thunderbird, ie /usr/bin/thunderbird.

Try that.

Comment

Nope,
                            that doesn't work either. As a side note I have never had this trouble until I upgraded to Hardy and FF3. I'm fairly comfortable using about:config.

Dan

Comment

These are the settings in my about:config. Mine works fine.

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto user set string /usr/bin/thunderbird
                              network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto user set boolean true
                              network.protocol-handler.external.mailto default boolean true
                              network.protocol-handler.warn-external.mailto default boolean false

Comment

Working...
                              X