This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu install from Vista SOLVED

I'm running Windows Vista and have tried to install Kubuntu with not much success. After installing it, I've encountered the message:
    F:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
    Selected entry could not be located because the application is missing or corrupt.

I've also tried running it from the CD, but that didn't work either.

Any help? Extreme noob needs aid!

Re: Kubuntu install from Vista

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just a quick FYI: My own experience with a dual-boot Vista/Linux box is that it's a whole lot easier to run each OS on its own hard drive.

If you must play with separate partitions on a single drive, Vista has a built-in tool for resizing partitions. If this doesn't cut it, try Partition Magic.

Comment

I just received my new laptop last week, and i decided to dual boot with Vista. I had no problem with resizing the partitions using Vista's partition manager (Vista is stingy with space though). I then used the GParted Live CD to create 4 more partitions with my newly allocated space. Make a a separate partition for /, /home, /swap, and then i made a fourth data partition (NTFS format) so that i could share media files with Vista. Just a suggestion but i have had no problems whatsoever with Kubuntu (other than wireless).

Comment

That's what I did as well after trashing Windows XP twice trying to load Feisty Fawn.

Originally posted by Davka
          Just a quick FYI: My own experience with a dual-boot Vista/Linux box is that it's a whole lot easier to run each OS on its own hard drive.

If you must play with separate partitions on a single drive, Vista has a built-in tool for resizing partitions. If this doesn't cut it, try Partition Magic.

Comment

Thanks, all.

The problem actually turned out to be a bit of a Vista error. Install worked fine after repairing Vista with the installation CD.

Comment

If you will return to the first post in this thread, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Glad you got your problem worked out. Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X