This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 8.04...no toolbar

I have just installed version 8.04 but once booted the desktop does not display my toolbar along the bottom of the page and hence no clock.....applications......
    all i get is a blank desktop.
    what do i do??
    i have looked in the settings but cannot find the action to enable toolbar

Re: kubuntu 8.04...no toolbar

Try this (this is a post from someone else when I had the exact same problem...)

[...begin...]

If your task bar just goes away, disappears, goes AWOL, is no longer is present etc, you can get it back. Sorry to say, this is a killer problem that would probably drive any novice Linux user back to MS or APPLE...

You will need to use some special keys on your keyboard to make this happen.

Press the ALT key and the F2 key at the very same time (ALT+F2)

A "RUN COMMAND" box will come on your screen. In that box, type: kcontrol
    When the kcontrol window opens click on: Panels

Then click either: Only Hide when a panel-hiding button is clicked
    OR
    Hide automatically

Then click on the Apply button at the bottom. You can change these settings back to whatever was originally in use when your task bar went insane later. This is just a work-around to get your task bar back.

The real bummer is that if this happens to normal users who don't know all these short-cuts, they will never know that they can open a web browser using the same ALT+F2 command (like Firefox or Konqueror) and therefore be stuck at a dead end. I was able to start Firefox and Google the information I needed to get this task bar working again (at least my second time now!!!!!) I really hope this is no longer a problem with later versions of KDE, but what a show stopper this problem is for most people!! Sorry of this bug bit you too. It wastes so much time and is so unnecessary!

By the way, I'm posting this for Google lookup.

[...end...]
    Just call me Ness...

Comment

Working...
    X