This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Installer

Hi, I've been having problems with Adept Installer. I cant download or install any programs, every time i try i get this error message...

There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would beak packages.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

-Akira

Re: Adept Installer

I had the same problem and someone suggested the following to me and it worked like a charm...

sudo su
    cd /
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope that helps...
    Just call me Ness...

Comment

thank you, that helped. Now could you tell me why that worked? im new to linux and am trying to figure out as much as i can.

Comment

If Adept Manager has problems, try using Synaptic (might have to install using Terminal/Console with sudo apt-get install synaptic).

Once Synaptic is running, click Edit, Fix Broken Packages then Reload followed by Mark All Upgrades and Apply. Sometimes fixes errors with which Adept Manager struggles.

Also, in Adept Manager, after you click Full Upgrade yet before you click Apply Changes, select Preview Changes and make alterations to the upgrade/s according to any listed problems (i.e remove upgrades where problems are highlighted). Sometimes, some program upgrades must precede others and/or some programs must be removed to allow a program upgrade/installation.

One more thing to watch, when upgrades are in progress, click View Details. Some upgrades and installations necessitate user input: Adept Manager might ask "Do you want this program to be installed (Y/n)?" Hence make a decisions and press "Y" or "n" to illustrate it (it's important to use the uppercase "Y" for "Yes" or lowercase "n" for "No.")

If this has helped, please reply to show it so that others can see it.

Regards...

Comment

Originally posted by NessHMC
          sudo su
          cd /
          sudo apt-get upgrade
          With sudo su you switch to super user mode (try it: you can see root@... at your prompt). Therefore it's no use to use sudo before apt-get upgrade. I can't see the benefit in changing directory to / either. In fact the best approach is to only execute the last command. With this command you only execute the one command with super user privileges. It prevents you from continuing working in super user mode, with all inherent risks.

Why would apt-get upgrade work?
          I have not the definite answer, but:

Suppose package X version 1 depends on package Y version 1
          Suppose package Z version 1 also depends on package Y version 1
          You have not installed the upgrade to package Z. Package Z version 2 depends on package Y v1 or v2
          Package Y version 2 is available

Package X gets upgraded, you want to install that upgrade. Now package X version 2 depends on package Y version 2. apt-get is smart enough to realize you need to upgrade package Y to version 2 as well. But, that would break package Z, your installed version 1 doesn't work with package Y version 2.
          Now apt-get breaks with the mentioned error.

According to the man pages of apt-get
          Code:
          man apt-get
          upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded ...

Executing this would also upgrade package Z, and now it's no problem anymore to upgrade package Y, and thus you can upgrade package X as well.
          Kubuntu 9.10<br />

Comment

Working...
          X