This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED] NTFS Harddrive shows empty

put good NTFS 160GB HD in K7.10, was working for two weeks, shared on network, etc. Now shows up as empty with 7 of 9 GB free. Pull drive and put in windows box and the 160GB shows up fine, 140GB used. Ran chkdsk and OOdefrag and no issues. Back to Linux and same issue.

Any ideas on how to make this work? I have two other NTFS drives in K that read fine.

Re: NTFS Harddrive shows empty

follow those steps and reply here:

1) plug in this disk and mount it ( not matter if it seems empty)

2) in command line run "df -h"

3) find the device hardware( probably will be "/dev/sdb1" ) as example what i see after mounted my old lacie usb drive:
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 72G 28G 41G 41% /
    varrun 248M 284K 248M 1% /var/run
    varlock 248M 0 248M 0% /var/lock
    udev 248M 96K 248M 1% /dev
    devshm 248M 0 248M 0% /dev/shm
    lrm 248M 34M 214M 14% /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile
    /dev/sdb1 28G 23G 5.5G 81% /media/LACIE

at this pointlets go checking this drive ( drive not partition .. so /dev/sdb without the "1")

4) in command line write "fdisk /dev/sdb" ( "m" is the help). press 1 time "p" ( print partition list of the drive)

write here the result ant then "q" to quit ....
    BE AWARE DO NOT DO ANYTHING MORE WITH FDISK ....
    FDISK can create/destroy partitions ...so you can loose your data if u do something wrong.
    and u cant undo those things ....

Comment

Re: NTFS Harddrive shows empty

OK, I figured it out. It was not mounting anymore (mount at startup unchecked), reboot and fine.

So what the heck caused this? It has worked through numerous reboots over the past two weeks. And why could I see the drive at all if it was not mounted? And why could I see the same 7 of 9 GB free over the network from a windows box?

Comment

Re: [FIXED] NTFS Harddrive shows empty

Nice ho hear that you solved your problem.
        Anyway to solve your latest question taking my lacie as example:

/dev/sdb1 28G 23G 5.5G 81% /media/LACIE

means that my drive "/dev/sdb1" is mounted in the folder "/media/LACIE", so when i check the content this folder i look a partition of mymy usb drive.

But what happens when the disk is not mouted then the folder?
        "/media/LACIE" might still exist ( warning: this is not always true.. it depend on the automount demon ). If this folder exist then you can still share this folder, but you will find it empty and the "available space" is the same of the partition where this folder reside ( "/" in this case). Im confident that your "/" partition have 7 of 9 GB free ..

Comment

Re: [FIXED] NTFS Harddrive shows empty

Yep, that was it. Weird...?

Comment

Working...
          X