This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to install a Firefox update

I downloaded the latest version of Firefox for Linux as a tar.gz file. After untaring it,I got the following:

chrome libsoftokn3.so
    components libssl3.so
    defaults libxpcom_compat.so
    dictionaries libxpcom_core.so
    extensions libxpcom.so
    firefox libxpistub.so
    firefox-bin mozilla-xremote-client
    greprefs old-homepage-default.properties
    icons plugins
    libfreebl3.chk readme.txt
    libfreebl3.so removed-files
    libmozjs.so res
    libnspr4.so run-mozilla.sh
    libnss3.so searchplugins
    libnssckbi.so updater
    libplc4.so updater.ini
    libplds4.so xpicleanup
    libsmime3.so

There was nothing in any of the .txt files on how to install this thing. Tried installing the firefox-bin file, but that didn't work. Anyone know how I install this? Thanks.

Re: Trying to install a Firefox update

The first question one is inclined to ask is, why?? Why aren't you installing Firefox via Adept Manager? In Hardy, the package is firefox-2
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Because in Adept, it just lists Firefox 3-beta which I don't want to try. I'm currently using Firefox 2.0.0.6. The latest stable Linux version is 2.0.0.14 which is the one I downloaded.

Comment

K > Add/Remove Programs
        Internet
        firefox-2
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Geez, the last two responses are the blind leading the blind. Does anyone know the answer to my original question?

Comment

You are not the first newbie to practice installing FX from tar.gz; we have people here who might do it in their sleep, but most (that I've read) give up. Mozilla claims these packages are ready to go. Thunderbird is ready (just open the right directory and click on the right file and it's there, asking for your pop & smtpauth). Whatever. So, my view is that if you are stubborn enough to insist on using FX to practice installing from source, then you should figure it out, using research on how these things are done. I tried once. Followed all the proper theory of installing from source and finally gave up--it was not worth the effort (as there are many other packages to practice with). When you get this, you might consider writing it up as a how-to, as an example, a tutorial, for others to fall back on if they fail trying on their own.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X