This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu from ubuntu?

I have a question which I hope is not heretic (I hope that's the word). I want to use Kubuntu mainly because I like the KDE desktop etc (I don't much care for Gnome). I downloaded both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04 and installed Kubuntu. I had endless problems (and eventually gave up) configuring my static IP address using Knetworkmanager. I installed Ubuntu and was able to configure my static IP address without a problem. Now my question.
    Is there a difference between using KDE4 installed on Ubuntu as opposed to directly installing Kubuntu from scratch?
    Errol

Re: kubuntu from ubuntu?

If I am understanding your right. Kubuntu 8.04 already has kde4 installed. You can run it from your log in screen. Not sure what the option is but its super easy to find. On the defalut log in screen for 8.04 click on the little file looking icon bottmm left.

Comment

Kununtu 8.04 can come with KDE4 (which is the version I want. I can get into knetworkmanager BUT I cannot operate the manual setup in order to put in the details of my static IP address and all other network info. When I press on manual configuration I get the request for my password. On entering my password, nothing happens. No screen opens, nothing! So I went to /etc/network/interfaces and tried to set up the ip there. On restarting, I got a manual IP that was VERY different from mine and obviously couldn't connect. I eventually gave up and am now thinking of installing Ubuntu where I can manually configure my IP etc. and installing KDE4 from there. As I asked in my original question - would this be VERY different from installing Kubuntu?? I really like Kubuntu and the KDE4 desktop, so is my "workaround" a valid (good) one?
      Errol

Comment

No.

As far as I know at least.
        This is because
        1. KDE can be downloaded from their website and installed just like any other software
        and
        2. If you install KDE through Ubuntu with Gnome I believe you will be able to choose your environment when you login. F10 gives you more options. All your files remain the same, the big difference is that each has its own way of doing things (I'm sure you knew that).

I found that most KDE programs run under their own separate directories like '/usr/include/kde/arts' or /usr/lib/kde/' where as in Gnome most programs are in /usr/bin or /sbin/ or /usr/sbin etc....

You should be ok..and from what I can tell, you will be better off...because the gnome apps will still be there

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks y0sh3
          You gave me the push I needed to try. I'll post results here after trying.
          Errol

Comment

Could use the synaptic to install kubuntu-desktop rather then all the installs from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel when its not broken?

Comment

I wrote this question on several forums and as I have now "solved" the problem i.e. successfully loaded Kubuntu with internet connection onto my computer. As the problem (from my point of view) is no longer I want to detail the problem and the solution I used for the benefit of others AND to thank the many people on these various forums that gave advice which helped me and set me on the right track. So first of all thank you all!
              The problem I came across:
              I installed Kubuntu and was unable to set up my static IP address in order to connect to the internet. I tried every possible way that I knew or was advised to try on various forums.
              The main problem was with knetworkmanager. I could not get it to allow me to get into manual setup. What happened was that when going to knetworkmanager and trying to operate manual setup I was asked for my password which I typed in. The request closed and then NOTHING happened. No reaction at all from the manager. So I was unable to setup my static IP that way.
              I then tried to write my static IP in /etc/network/interfaces. My static IP starts with 10.* etc. but the static IP number I got when restarting my computer was 198.* etc. No connection to what I had tried. All this was on a wired connection.
              In desperation I installed Ubuntu and had NO problems with setting up my static IP. I prefer the Kubuntu interface and programs so I tried this:
              I then installed KDE4 using
              sudo apt-get install KDE4
              After seeing that KDE4 worked properly I went to the next step an completely installed Kubuntu from within Ubuntu
              apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
              I am very satisfied with the results although I haven't tried out everything yet. I particular I haven't tried knetworkmanager but when I get home from work I will do just that.
              I intend to send this letter as a bug notice to Kubuntu if I can find out how(where) to do this.
              I hope this can help others as I was helped here.
              Errol

Comment

Working...
              X