This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argggg, attempting to install firefox... and other problems

Ok so i am trying to install FIrefox 1.0.7 and all i am gettin is the following.

tien@TuningTop:~$ sudo apt-get install firefox
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Package firefox is not available, but is referred to by an other package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsole ted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package firefox has no installation candidate

So as you can see it is becomming frustrating... but fun at the same moment. I have been searching and searching endlessly and decided to man up and ask for help. Pleas anyone out there help me!!!

Another problem is that i want to install Firefox 1.5 (after the original) as well but when i type in:

sudo tar -C /opt -x -z -v firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz

i get nothing but a blank and no: tien@tuningtop:~$

I am at my wits end and have no more ideas.

My other problem is that i am trying to connect WiFi and am gettin nothing. I have tried to install NDisWrapper but i am having problems installing ANY and ALL programs, including WineHq. I have a D-Link Air DWL-650 and from what some posts have revealed is that the DWL-650 at the moment isint working very well with Kubuntu. I also have a Belkin USB F5D7050 Wireless adaptor and i cant seem to have any luck with that also.

Any help would be well very helpful. Thanks in advance for any directions you can point me in and as well as and suggestions and advice. Thanks!!!

Fooie13

Re: Argggg, attempting to install firefox... and other problems

Is WiFi (what you haven't been able to set up yet) your only connection to the internet with Kubuntu? If so, that's why you can't install Firefox 1.0.7. The apt-get utility uses online software repositories. If you can't connect to the internet, you can't access those repositories.

In order to use Firefox 1.5, you need a certain lib, too, that you'd need to download from the internet. See this for more details:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
    X