Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Alert! Can Kubuntu's shell be changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Alert! Can Kubuntu's shell be changed?

I am new to Unix/Linux/Kubuntu . I am taking a class in Unix and had an old, unused laptop (DELL Inspiron 3800, 360M RAM, 5G HD) that I installed Kubuntu onto. The website said that it was something called "Gutsy", but the About page says it is KDE-Release 3.5.8. I have not put this on the Web for updates, as I must get a new keyboard (on the way).

The class I am taking is going to be using the Bourne shell. Have I installed the wrong thing, and, if so, what should I install? Any help that you gurus could give, I would surely appreciate .

Annette

Re: Newbie Alert! Can Kubuntu's shell be changed?

I think you're in luck. Kubuntu comes with bash. Here's the beginning output from
    Code:
    dibl@cville:~$ man bash
    BASH(1) BASH(1)

NAME
    bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell

SYNOPSIS
    bash [options] [file]

COPYRIGHT
    Bash is Copyright (C) 1989-2005 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.

DESCRIPTION
    Bash is an sh-compatible command language interpreter that executes commands read from
    the standard input or from a file. Bash also incorporates useful features from the Korn
    and C shells (ksh and csh).

Bash is intended to be a conformant implementation of the Shell and Utilities portion of
    the IEEE POSIX specification (IEEE Standard 1003.1). Bash can be configured to be POSIX-
    conformant by default.
    It also has the default "dash" shell. Here's the output from
    Code:
    dibl@cville:~$ man dash
    SH(1) BSD General Commands Manual SH(1)

NAME
    sh - command interpreter (shell)

SYNOPSIS
    sh [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name] [+o option_name]
    [command_file [argument ...]]
    sh -c [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name] [+o option_name]
    command_string [command_name [argument ...]]
    sh -s [-aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [+aCefnuvxIimqVEb] [-o option_name] [+o option_name]
    [argument ...]

DESCRIPTION
    sh is the standard command interpreter for the system. The current version of sh is in the
    process of being changed to conform with the POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a specifications for
    the shell. This version has many features which make it appear similar in some respects to
    the Korn shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone (see ksh(1)). Only features designated by
    POSIX, plus a few Berkeley extensions, are being incorporated into this shell. We expect
    POSIX conformance by the time 4.4 BSD is released. This man page is not intended to be a
    tutorial or a complete specification of the shell.

Overview
    The shell is a command that reads lines from either a file or the terminal, interprets
    them, and generally executes other commands. It is the program that is running when a user
    logs into the system (although a user can select a different shell with the chsh(1) com‐
    mand). The shell implements a language that has flow control constructs, a macro facility
    that provides a variety of features in addition to data storage, along with built in his‐
    tory and line editing capabilities. It incorporates many features to aid interactive use
    and has the advantage that the interpretative language is common to both interactive and
    non-interactive use (shell scripts). That is, commands can be typed directly to the run‐
    ning shell or can be put into a file and the file can be executed directly by the shell.

Comment

Thank you so very much! I really cannot wait til my keyboard arrives to check out this new "toy". I am looking forward to learning about the system, not only in the classroom, but at home, too. You may see me around again (most likely *will* see me around). Thanks again for the response .
      Annette

Comment

Gutsy (or more fully Gutsy Gibbon 7.10) is the version of Kubuntu (the on release in 2007 in the tenth month, hence 7.10).
        3.5.8 is the version of KDE (the desktop environment) that is included in Kubuntu 7.10
        Hence the two different version numbers.

Comment

as far i know the Bourne Shell is the classical "sh", and every linux distro have it by default. That told all linux distro prefer bash isteadof sh because it's more recent and "user friendly".

when you do a shell script its quite easy chose what shell use as interpreter in the fist line of the file.

if you write for example a file including :

echo "hello world"
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

you will use the "sh" interpreter despite what shell you see when you opened the console. to use bash, csh, or ksh u change the first line into:

#!/bin/bash
          #!/bin/csh
          #!/bin/ksh

Another thing: if u want to "use" this shell interactivelly ( not shell scripting ) u can change shell simply running his command. For example if as default you have bash but you will use sh ( or ksh) simply write sh ( ksh) and press enter. at this point you will use the sh ( ksh) shell till you write exit ( then you return to the previuous shell).

you can also change the "default" shell changing user preferences, but imho it's better leave it as it is.

last thing , just in case your class will use none of the shell previuos mentioned... dont worry, personally im confident that you can install all shells u wish if they are not already installd, so for sure you have not to change distro just because of a shell interpreter. ;-)
          hope it helped.

Comment

Dash vs Bash

DashAsBinSh
            Dash as /bin/sh

In Ubuntu 6.10, the default system shell, /bin/sh, was changed to dash (the Debian Almquist Shell); previously it had been bash (the GNU Bourne-Again Shell)...

Why was this change made?
            The major reason to switch the default shell was efficiency. bash is an excellent full-featured shell appropriate for interactive use; indeed, it is still the default login shell. However, it is rather large and slow to start up and operate by comparison with dash...

My production system has broken and I just want to get it back up!
            If you are unlucky enough to have been negatively affected by this change, and only one or two shell scripts are affected, then the quickest way to fix this is to edit these scripts and change the first line to use the correct interpreter...

I am a developer. How can I avoid this problem in future?
            We recommend that developers of shell scripts adhere to the POSIX standard, omitting those items flagged as XSI extensions...
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks to all that answered. Am awaiting keyboard to try out the different operations.
              Annette

Comment

Working...
              X