This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Live until I am ready

I am a Windows user and NEVER used anothe OS. I recently received Ubuntu Live CD and have played with it over the weekend and really had fun with it.
    I then downloaded Kubuntu Live and MAN, I love the look of this desktop and some of the "packages" included have better functionality.
    However, I have had one issue so far that I cannot figure out, my printer.
    I go into printer manager and try and "add" my printer so I can print to my Epson Stylus Color Photo 825 and cannot find it anywhere nor figure out how to add it in.
    Can someone give me some steps on doing this?
    I figured out the scanner and mail client and browsed the web, but this printer thing has me baffled.
    Also, is there a firewall or anti virus needed or included for Kubuntu?

Re: Kubuntu Live until I am ready

For printing in linux, a very good resource is linuxprinting.org. I'd be very surprised if you could not setup your printer. On the whole, Linux has extremely good printer support. If you cannot find the specific make/model of the printer in KDE's add-printer dialog, then try it as just a raw printer. Under the selection box which holds the models, there should be two check-boxes. One should say "PostScript printer," the other should say "raw printer." Choose "raw printer" without selecting a model, and continue the printer setup. When it gives you an option to print a test page, do it. If the page prints, than you're all set. Name the printer and finish the setup. From then on, anytime you want to print, you should be given a dialog with the name that you gave for your printer. If the "raw printer" option does not work, then try selecting a different (but close) model from the same brand and see if the test page prints then.

Good luck, I hope you get it to work!

Because of the nature of Linux as an operating system, and also because of the number of people who use it, you do not have to worry about using any firewall or anti-virus software. If a virus does somehow infect your computer, it can only possibly have the same permissions as the user who is logged in when the virus gets in. This is why the root account is disabled by default in ubuntu, and why the users of every distrobution where the root account is enabled will tell you to only log into root very very rarely. Only when it is extremely needed. Linux is like Mac OS, viri are incredibly few and far between. If you want, you can run a firewall program, but it is definitely not required. I have never run one with Kubuntu, and I've never had a problem.

If you want more info on this subject, go to ubuntuforums.org and do a search for virus and also for firewall. There are some discussions there about this subject and, many people there can explain it in better words than I can, and know a lot more about it than I do.

Don't worry about spyware/adware either. For your purposes, it does not exist for Linux.

This isn't to say that these things will not someday exist for Linux (and some, very very few, probably already do), but that will not happen until Linux emerges as a major OS for the average user in the computing world.

Comment

Thank you for the reply! I will give this another shot when I get home.

Comment

I got the printer to go. Thank you. Now for it to be able to import my pictures from my Canon Powershot that it recognizes.

Comment

Awesome! I'm glad I helped with the printer. Was it the "raw printer" option that did it?

About the camera - it is recognized, but the computer won't let you import your photos? Have you tried just opening it and copying the photos to the harddrive? You can either select them and use copy and then paste them into your /home/<username/ directory. Or, you can drag them to a konqueror window opened to that directory.

I hope we can make linux an experience that you're comfortable with.

Comment

Thank you for the replies!
            I was not selecting USB as which my printer is. Oh well.
            I use KUBUNTU and it does not have Gimp that I can see. It has Krita and Gwenview. Kubuntu recognizes my camera when I go to System Settings -> Digital Camera it is there as Canon PowerShot A300. But, how do I import the images from the camera to the Kubuntu desktop let's say? I go to find files and folders but where do I browse for this camera (i.e. the Look in section)?
            FYI, I use Kubuntu Breezy Badger: the 5.10 Release Live version right now.

Comment

When you plug the camera into the machine, does an icon get placed on the desktop? If so, is there a little green triangle on the lower right part of the icon? If so, double click the icon and the resulting window should display the contents of your camera. You can drag the photos from there to the desktop, and when you drop them on the desktop, a contextual menu should appear giving you the options of copying, moving, etc. Choose the "copy" option, and the files should be copied to the desktop.

If there is no icon, or if the icon has no green triangle (the triangle means the camera has been "mounted" as a filesystem on the computer), then open the kmenu, and go to System > Konsole. Once Konsole opens, make sure the camera is plugged into the computer, and type the following command into Konsole:
              Code:
              cat /etc/mtab
              Copy the output of that command here and I will tell you how to access the camera.

Comment

Working...
              X