Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I activate my wlan card at startup??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I activate my wlan card at startup??

Hi!
    I've just installed dapper flight 5 and is currently involved in a fierce fight with my wlan card (pcmcia)..

To get the card (netgear wg511v2 china) up and going on my toshiba a60 laptop I need to do the following:

1. sudo setpci -s 0:14.4 SUBORDINATE_BUS=0A --- something with the pcmcia controller, so that the card will be detected by system!(?)
    2.eject and reinsert the pcmcia wlan card
    3.ndiswrapper -l ---to see if driver and hardware is detected
    4.sudo modprobe ndiswrapper ---the leds on the card lights up
    5. sudo ifup wlan0 ---bringing the network up

Is there some way to make the os do this at startup by it self or with a single click/command

I'm getting a bit boored typing it all everytime i want to use the wireless network...

Cheers!

Re: How do I activate my wlan card at startup??

I am curious, can't you just activate it from [b]System Settings -> Network Settings[b] ? I don't have a wireless interface these days to play. If you can, then you can configure it to start on boot up (there is a checkbox for this in the interface configuration dialog)

Hope this helps ! Cheers!

Comment

Hi!
      Unfortunatly it doesnt work since i have to modprobe ndiswrapper everytime and before that write the "setpci command" + unplug and plug in the card also this everytime i want to use the card....

it seems that there is something wrong with my pcmcia controller - ubuntu doesn't recognize it (a Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller).
      but it works if i use the setpci command.... strange to me as i dont know what this does as i found the tip i another forum..

Comment

I think you are absolutely right, as long as the card is not recognized there is no way to automate this. You could configure ndiswrapper (the module) to be loaded at boot time, just add it to /etc/modules, but that's not gonna solve the problem. Maybe when a new version of Kubuntu is available you'll be fine, is this relatively new hardware ?

Have you considered submitting a bug report in Malone? You have all the necessary info ?

Cheers

Comment

Yeah, i've already added the module (ndiswrapper -m does that right?), but since the module probably is loded before the setpci command it fails to be loaded cause the hardware just isn't there.. i guess

The hardware isn't that new... its a toshiba a60 and that laptop has been around for a while... it uses a texas pcmcia controller (CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)) is this unsupported? where do i find that out? do you know?

thanks....

Comment

Working...
          X