This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Compiz & Emerald

Apologies for the multiple posts, but I figured I should make several smaller posts by topic, rather than one big one containing many topics.

I installed Compiz, compizconfig-settings-manager, and Emerald theme manager via Adept. I can get into CCSM, but none of the settings I enable there take effect; I still have no 3D desktop effects. Likewise, although I can get into the Emerald theme manager and although I have emerald set as the command under Windows Decoration in CCSM, none of the themes I choose in the Emerald theme manager take effect.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Have I missed a step somewhere?

Re: Need help with Compiz & Emerald

First, do you have accelerated graphics enabled? This can be checked by running:

Alt-F2 > 'konsole' > <Enter>

Code:
    glxgears
    If it runs, close both the gears window and konsole.

Alt-F2 > 'compiz' > <Enter>

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Need help with Compiz &amp; Emerald

OK I tried, that, I did see the gears turning, so I closed them out and did Alt+F2, "compiz". Nothing happened; still no effects or window decorations.

I did find a submenu under the K menu -- I'm afraid I don't remember exactly what it was, and I can't check now cause I've broken stuff even more! -- which took me to a system configurations page where I was able to select "display" and "hardware"; Kubuntu had my graphics card as "vesa" and my monitor as "custom1" (or something like that). So I manually configured my hardware -- Kubuntu detected my NVIDIA graphics card, and there was a button which said something like "use detected card" so I selected that, and then I manually went in and told it the make and model of my monitor. It then told me that for the new setting to take effect that I had to log out and restart the X-server, so I did.

When I restarted the X server, it started booting, I was getting lines of text, then everything froze and wouldn't continue. So I restarted the computer, and now it won't even load the desktop. No graphics of any sort, just a text login to enter my username and password, then I get a command prompt and can go no further because I have no idea what command one uses to load the desktop (not that I should have to issue a special command to have it load what it's supposed to automatically load anyway, so I've obviously busted something).

Comment

Boot back to that command prompt and type:

Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        When prompted select 'vesa'.

Then download and install envy here: http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

There have been some issues with the Restricted Driver installation with 64bit. dibl has some experience with 64bit. Check in the Gutsy forums here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=5.0

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

ummm.. try this

hit ALT+F2

type
          Code:
          compiz --replace
          then hit ALT+F2 again

type
          Code:
          emerald --replace
          thats how I get it to start... then it will work just like it should.. unfortunately, I havent found a way to make this start when kde does...

Comment

ok.. if it crashes like that, then that means your xorg.conf file is wacked..

do this to reset it

when it locks up, press ALT+F1

sign in when prompted

type
            Code:
            cd /etc/X11/
            then type
            Code:
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.backup.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            then restart.. that will put your backup xorg.conf file in action and reverse the settings...

if you want to change your resolution, do it with nvidia-settings

go to a konsole
            type
            Code:
            sudo nvidia-settings
            if it says you dont have it, then go to syaptic or add/remove programs (adept) and search nvidia.. then download nvidia-settings... it should work then

Comment

OK, several semi-related issues going on here.

First, when you think your system is locked up or crashed, please get it going again this way to avoid making things worse:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

On Compiz, when you had glxgears working, you were VERY close -- I'm not sure what happened thereafter. At a very high level, to run the eye candy you need to (a) install the right video driver, (b) get glx and the window decorator (emerald and/or Kwin) working, and (c) enable the effects.

Also, before you go much farther, right-click the desktop, choose "configure desktop" and set the number of virtual desktops to 1.

So, if you can re-do whatever you did to get your Nvidia driver working correctly, do it again. If you've lost that recipe, then first configure a VESA display as described by Mike in #3 above, then download the Envy script installer from here.

Use the link at the bottom left of the OS table, where it says "Get Envy Legacy". Download it to your desktop, right-click it and choose "Install with Gdebi" or whatever it offers to install it. Once installed, you can run Envy either from KMenu>System>Envy, or in the console with
              Code:
              sudo envy -t
              With the Nvidia driver installed, you can use the included xserver configuration script to overwrite your xorg.conf file. In the console do
              Code:
              sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
              Then make it effective by restarting the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Now you've got glx enabled -- prove it by running
              Code:
              glxgears
              in a console window. If it works, you can hit Esc to stop it. Check your Emerald window decorator by running in the console
              Code:
              emerald --replace
              and observe the window borders change. Leave it running -- don't exit that console.

Now open another console window and enter
              Code:
              compiz
              Check it with Ctrl-Alt-right-arrow (or left-arrow). If it spins, you're done. To have it enabled by default, don't close that window, but instead restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Hope this helps.

Comment

from what I saw, it just wont start without you starting it yourself.. I cant get it to start up with the pc, but when I start the pc, i just enter those 2 commands and it works perfect...

Comment

Working...
                X