Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Networking through VirtualBox questions, and more...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking through VirtualBox questions, and more...

Okay, I thought the networking was going to work the way it always does in windows, simple. There I go thinking again....

HELP!!!

I've spent hours trying to solve this problem, but I simply don't know enough about linux networking and virtualbox to make sense of it all. Not even sure what to search for....

I have Kubuntu 7.1 loaded, with VirtualBox running Windows 2000. I need to see the windows network from windows 2000 inside kubuntu to run a network program on another windows machine. I can't seem to get out to the windows network, yet I can jump on the internet. I'm lost and frustrated, been looking at it too long...

Re: Networking through VirtualBox questions, and more...

ok ... if you must see your netword from your virtual machine, the solution in easy:

configure the virtual machine settings as NAT, then after booted windows simply use DHCP. it should work.

A bit more complicated if you must allow your network to see tour virtual machine... in this case NAT will not work ... you have to conficure a bridge network, check some howto since i never did that with VBOX

Comment

My vmware network works fine with NAT.
      I don't know about virtualbox.

Can we see your smb.config?
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Windows 2000VB cannot see my network. I don't really care if windows 2000VB can be seen from the network.

How do I show you my smb.cfg?

Comment

Originally posted by andreasj64
          Windows 2000VB cannot see my network. I don't really care if windows 2000VB can be seen from the network.

How do I show you my smb.cfg?
          ok .. wait a moment .... lets be sure whats happening.

your Vbox ( windows), can navigate? ( linux should work as gateway .. lets see if is doind the job)

it took the ip? ( execute "cmd" -> ipconfig , just to be sure that windows have network configured)

try to find a PC using his IP instead of name.. u find it?

try to do some ping ( from cmd). try to ping linux from your virtual machine and some windows pc in your network.

Comment

okay, it worked. I can see the computer when I search on the IP, and appear to be able to access folders. i don't know if everything is going to work properly, but I'll keep you posted once I get to work and load Pervasive on the w2kvb machine. It needs that in order to run the estimating system.

Why can't I see the computer in the network browser through w2k? What can I do to fix it?

Comment

i read somehting about not being able to ping in vb... i'll have to go back and find that again... off to the docs for a check... i'll keep you posted on my progress... thanks again for all the help, it's so much easier asking for help than reading mounds of articles...

Comment

You have to uderstand what NAT means.. so all will be clear to you.
                YOur VBox windows is not in your network at all... making a shma should appera something like:

VBOX ( windows) <--network1--> Kubuntu ( work as gateway) <--network2--> Local Windows Network

So when your windows try to dinf other windows machines he is cheching only "network1" .. not "network2" .. so i does not find nothing ....

If you serch an IP you find remote servers because because stating a specific ip means that your wbox see u are pointing an ip that's not in network1.

If you set a domain network and not a workgroup you will have no problems because u will set a DOmain master. Another thing you could try is configure your samba server on kubuntu so is can work as "master browser" . change below parameters in /etc/samba/smb.conf so:

domain master = no
                local master = Yes

Another thing you could try is configure your VBOX using a bridge network and not a nat ... that way your vbox will ne in the same network with other windows machines, so you sould have not any problem.

IMHO all attempts require some knowledge of networking problems, or Samba configuration. If you simply dont want to spend to much time and you have to connect just to 1-2 servers the simpliest thing u can do is connect once with IP and then mount the share point as network HD.

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on the subject...

Everything is working great! I can run my estimating system, which was my primary goal. I can now use Linux at work, and learn while I work. Thanks for all the help!!!

I'll be posting more questions as time goes on....

Really digging the new OS!!!!!

AJ

Comment

Working...
                  X