This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated Kubuntu, got error now cant boot into Kubuntu

I installed Kubuntu 7.10. after using it for a few days i did ran the update. it downloaded all the updates but when it was installing them, about half way through, it gave me an error message. saying that adept manager was being used by another program(or something like that). then the update manager closed. adept didn't want to run, giving me the same error. so i decided to restart. Grub loaded and i chose Kubuntu and it just gives me an error message "file missing" and it gets stuck there. Any help on how i could get Kubuntu to work again with the updates would be much appreciated.

Re: Updated Kubuntu, got error now cant boot into Kubuntu

hm .... i would try 2 attempts:

first attempt is a bit complicated but should work.. Is not a step bu step guide.. so do it only if u understand the steps im suggesting you else avoid and try second way
    1) boot with cd-rom ..
    2) mount your partitions on HD.
    3) chroot your "/" partition on HD
    4) rerun upgrade using apt

Second way:
    Reinstall but dont format your / partition. It will replace all basic packets but lease safe your data. After done it should at least be able to boot, but yu need for sure to update and upgrade because you will have some packets updated and some not.. the system will probably be unstable.

Comment

thanks i'll b sure to try the 2nd option. Still very new to linux so dont quite understand the first option

Comment

Pretty sure that the Kubuntu Live CD installer will * force * you to reformat the root (/) partition.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          Pretty sure that the Kubuntu Live CD installer will * force * you to reformat the root (/) partition.
          hm i may be wrong but as far i remember if you chose manual partitioning u can do what u wish ... i installed kubuntu just past week on a laptop, but to be honest i used the "alternate" cd ( the one with text based install ) really dunno if graphic install have fewer options.

Comment

On the Live Desktop CD installer, if you don't click the "Format" box for root (and for swap, /boot, and some other key partitions), then you click Finish, the installer will pop up at you with the notice that those key partitions will be formated, at which point you can say Yes or you can Cancel the installation. (If /home is separate, you do NOT have to have home re-formatted, of course.)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Had the exact same problem, 3 times in a row. Do not use the updater!

Reload the Kubuntu OS.

Open the Adedpt Manager.

Click Adept>Manage Depositories.

Check 4 boxes on the general tab, but uncheck source code, unless you want it.

close until it goes and reload until the window goes away.

Once you return fully to the adept manager, a new button will appear, version update.

Click that and update your system.

Do not just run the update, or use the full upgrade button.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Another option:
                install synaptic (the first thing I do when installing Kubuntu)

Open a terminal and:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install synaptic
                and use synaptic for updates/grades.

Adept is not yet prime time imho.

For more info:
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have to agree with you fintan. Any updater that's going to kill an install isn't ready for prime time. This is my first time with Linux, so I was just following what it told me to do, and I'm sure there are plenty of others that did the same as I did, and tahirh.

Comment

Well, the kubutu people are working hard on this and adept is quite new

I have not seen many problems with it in hardy alpha up until now so patience is a virtue.

Otherwise there is a lot about kubuntu to love
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

absolutely! I love it, and it's something different!

Comment

thanks for all the help. but does this mean that i have to re-install and format my linux partition?

Comment

Yes, as near as I can tell. I'm no expert on Kubuntu, but I had to reload everything, including reformating, 4 times. If it's an enormous hard drive, you can always reduce the initial size to save time. There might be other ways, but by the time you find the answer, you could be up and running again. Good luck!

Comment

busy reinstalling now. will get the synaptic manager rather before i do any updates. thanks anyway..lucky for me its a small partition and all my info is on my windows drive. thanks again

Comment

Always make a separate partition for /home. Makes life real easy, sometimes even fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X