This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crash & burn...

So, I tried using the Adept Updater after a new install, 3 times. It crashes, then when I reboot my system, it says it's missing files and won't boot. There is a lot of updates, so installing them one at a time is going to take a very long time. It also told me there was a package update for the entire system, after the adept crashed, but it couldn't grab it because something was in use.. Help!!!!!!!!!! I know it's quicker to just reinstall on a clean system, but after 3 tries I want to find out why it's crashing....

Re: crash & burn...

Open the Konsole and do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install

Comment

I'm new to Linux. Where do I run the console from? CD, or command prompt from the hard drive?

Comment

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The problem I have is my system is crashed, and won't boot. I can reload the OS, again, but I kind of want to try and fix it this time.

Comment

when I type the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" into the Konsole, I get an unknown option -o. I have no clue why it's saying -o, especially when I'm typing -a.

Comment

what the heck does "sudo" mean anyway?

Comment

SuperUser DO

Ubuntu Documentation

Root And Sudo

The root user in GNU/Linux is the user which has administrative access to your system. Normal users do not have this access for security reasons. However, Ubuntu does not include the root user. Instead, administrative access is given to individual users, who may use the "sudo" application to perform administrative tasks. The first user account you created on your system during installation will, by default, have access to sudo. You can restrict and enable sudo access to users with the Users and Groups application (see the section called "Users and Groups" for more information).

When you run an application that requires root privileges, sudo will ask you to input your normal user password.

Comment

Got it all working! Thanks for the help everyone. Ended up going to the version updater button after I reinstalle the OS.

Now all I have to do is get the Virtual machine running so I can load windows 2k in the background.

This is fun!

Andy

Comment

I'd recommend using VMWare Player (free). To get the maximum benefit, you will also need to install VMWare Tools. This utility doesn't come with VMWare Player - it's included in the 'not free' VMWare Server. However, you can extract the separate Tools file from the Server .iso file. You'll then need to obtain and/or build the Virtual Machine files. Just discovered a fantastic site on the Web (Google is your friend!) called easyvmx.com where you answer easy questions and have the virtual machine files built for you! How cool is that? 8)

Comment

sounds really cool!

I may switch if I can't get this thing working right, but it seems to be working well. I do have another issue now, networking. It's much more comlpicated than I considered initially.... I'm starting a new thread....

Comment

Working...
                      X