This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few Problems with Kubuntu

So after running Ubuntu on my desktop for a good two weeks or so, and after finally getting my laptop (Vista lasted a grand total of 15 minutes on there), I'm dual booting with XP Pro and Kubuntu Gutsy. So far the switch over hasn't been too bad, although there are some minor issues that have come up.

I'm running a stock Acer Extensa 5620 (only replaced one of the 512 MB RAM cards with a 1 GB to bring me up to 1.5 GB of RAM).

I first noticed it in Amarok, but realized that it applies across any sound output programs (including Firefox and VLC). How do I get the system to recognize when I insert a headphone jack into the jack on the front to just output sound out of the headphones, rather than just sticking to the speakers?

Does anyone know how to get AlephOne running? I've read its about the closest thing to Halo that Linux has, and since that was the only game I really played (mostly just for the campaigns, but it was also the only first person shooter with the least amount of blood / guts in it that I could find).

I remember in Ubuntu with GNOME there was a nice easy program to be able to change the logon screen and system themes. Where is said program in Kubuntu?

How can I get WPA-Enterprise with TKIP and PEAP encryption? I'm currently using Wicd after realizing that KNetworkManager wasn't cutting it. I need it to be able to connect wirelessly to my university network when I'm on campus, and it does work in XP Pro, so I know its not the card, its the software.

I'm going to be learning C++ and Java (again) this summer. Are there any decent compliers for either programming language? I'm guessing I'd have to run the programs I create in WINE, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Is there a way to change the icons on the desktop? I read somewhere about adding the equivalent of My Computer, Recycle Bin, and My Documents on Windows, and I've done so (and since forgotten how I did it). Is there a way to change the icons of these shortcuts? Where can I find extra icon packages?

Within the main menu (eh, Start Button, the K button, whatever you want to call it), is there a way to move around the shortcuts in the folders or make your own to re-organize things to how you need them?)

With Ubuntu on GNOME I remember there being a larger number of System --> Preferences and System --> Administration that could handle almost all of the customization effects. Is there a way to get a similar thing in Kubuntu? And where would I go to get the extra themes for it? I couldn't find them in the Add/Remove Program, Adept Manager, or Debian Manager (or maybe I'm just not sure what it is I'm looking for).

Could someone recommend a decent Paint program? Not as powerful as GIMP, but just something basic to play with or edit things as needed?

Under K-> Settings, I seem to have duplicate entries on there. How do I go about removing the extra program from my computer safely (not just removing the extra shortcut).

Thanks!

Re: Few Problems with Kubuntu

1. Have you enabled Hedphone option via Kmixer ? If not open Kmixer from the Volume Icon in system tray..and set setting for headphone.
    2.Nopes I never heard about that will try it.
    3.There is a KDM theme Manager but not available by defauls http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...ger-3720.shtml
    4. Can't say.
    5. WHy use IDE's like anjuta or Gcc .. WHat you need to do is to learn usinversal commands.. Like remove .h from header files and do not use getch (); The program will work then
    6. Right click on the icon select propertie.. Now there is a small preview of the icon click it and browse the icon you want to seles.. You can also install new themes from Kcontrol -> Icons
    7. Please be more clear I didn't get that.. btw why don't you use kbfx http://www.kbfx.org/ available in the repo..
    8. Yes there is press ALT + F2 then type kcontrol.. or right click on the panel and add the applet Settings // That has all the option for controlling KDE>. for themes and icons.. http://www.kde-look.org/
    9. krita
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install krita

Hope this helps.. To Compile use these 3 commands..
    Code:
    ./configure
    make 
    kdesu make install

Comment

Re: Few Problems with Kubuntu

1) Do not see an option anywhere in KMix for headphones
      3) Will try it and let you know how it goes
      5) Only learning basic programming (think first or second semester of C++ and Java)
      6) Ooooh, that's where they hid it. Okay, cool. Thanks!
      7) That should work. I just know I installed some stuff from the repo and it put it in wierd places, was trying to clean it up a bit

8) Do not see KControl anywhere in apps menu, went to Konsole to get it, but thank you

9) I always had problems with that make command, but I'll try it as soon as krita installs.

Comment

Working...
      X