This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Windows Software

I just loaded Kubuntu, and I'm trying to run a windows estimating program. It's an old legacy program called PSI, and it requires Pervasive SQL 9.0 to run. Anyone want to help get this running, or do I need to go back to windows? I rebuilt an old P4 system that was lying around at work, and I really want to use Kubuntu instead of Windows, but it needs to run this darn estimating program. I can send all programs to an interested party if they need to figure it out with the original software.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Re: Running Windows Software

Did you try wine?

And what are you trying to estimate with your computer? Mabe there is an open source alternative to it
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

I tried Wine, but I'm just not getting it to go. The software is print estimating software, so no, nothing generic will work. Our database is in the software. It actually runs over the network, but I figured I'd work on it locally first, then expand to the network version. It's a really old program, and is more of a dos based system.

Comment

you have 2 ways .... try to use "wine" to run windows programs into linux , but it's not so easy, or use a virtual machine and install a whole windows under linux. For second way check http://www.virtualbox.org/.

kubuntu have this probram in theyr repositories so u can install it without troubles. ;-)

Comment

The software itself should run without a problem, as pieces that don't require Pervasive SQL 9.0 do work just fine. I'm not sure how the two interact with each other.

Comment

forgot a third option:

exist a non-free modified version of wine designed for offic applications named crossover

check here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

Comment

Thanks! I think I'll try option 3, just to see if it works. I really want to start using Kubuntu to get familiar with Linux. So far, I really like what it has to offer, even though it is slightly unstable.

Comment

just remember that you have to pay to use crossover ... but i think there is a trial option so you can check if your application works. since you wanna use a dos applciation i would use virtualbox and create a virtual amchine with dos. almost 100% chance of success and anyway dos dont need much HD space ....

Comment

I use VMWare Player ver. 2 to run a difficult MS Visual FoxPro database app in Win XP. I tried Wine and spent a whole weekend proving that it wouldn't work that way. In VMWare Player, it runs at 95% the speed of a native Win XP installation -- I benchmarked it.

I also hear good things about Virtual Box, although I have not needed to try it that way.

Comment

crossover didn't work.... So, it looks like I'll go ahead and use one of the other two options. Running my apps at 95% is fine with me. The estimating program itself doesn't need to run fast anyway, just run. I can only estimate so fast!

Comment

I have a few links for vmware and virtual box that may be of interest. Unfortunately I am still on a different machine (having lunch) I'll be in my office latter.

Bthw both work fine as dible mentioned
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

okay, a dumb quesiton here. how the heck do you get virtual box or vm to install I get a "dependency is not satisfiable error: libidl0" error on virtual box, and I download a tar file on the other. I decompressed the later, but have no clue how to get it installing. lol....

I know I'm going to like this system once I get used to it....

Comment

Similar to Dos you say?
                          It might work with dosbox.
                          And here lives virtualbox : http://www.virtualbox.org/
                          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

If it is DOS, just another vote for using freedos or similar. Wine is mainly for GUI based apps and is a bit overkill for DOS based stuff. Freedos happily runs all my old PC games.

Comment

Originally posted by andreasj64

I know I'm going to like this system once I get used to it....
                              Yes, you are!

Did you look in the repo (Adept Manager or Synaptic) for vmware-player? That would be easiest way, if it is in there.

I found the downloaded VMWare Player ver. 2 not that awful to install -- I had to do that because the 64-bit version is not in the repos. Basically, and totally from memory, the drill goes roughly like this:

1. Download tarball to desktop.
                              2. Right-click tarball and choose "Action>Extract here" to extract it. A new folder appears on the desktop.
                              3. Open Konsole,

Code:
                              sudo apt-get install build-essential
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
                              cd D{TAB}{Enter} cd vm{TAB}{Enter} and ls to confirm that you are where you think you are and the files are there.

4. sudo vm{TAB} (make sure you're naming the file that says "install" or "run" in its name -- I can't remember exactly what it is.

5. Hit Enter to accept the defaults all the way through the installation script. It will tell you that you need to run the vmware-config script, which you will do from the same prompt, and also prefixed with "sudo".

It should work -- worst case you'll have a problem, Google it, and find out you need the "any-any-update115b" or some such patch to get it the rest of the way installed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X