This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to see my other hard drive?

I have kubuntu 7.10 installed on custom boxx.
    Have dual boot on (primary)sata drive (windoes and kubuntu).
    Have a second hard drive in b0x wich is ide (slave).
    Asus motherboard. Nothing special.
    Windows can see it fine offcourse (it is ntfs).The second drive that is.
    How can I get kubuntu to see it?
    I have only been using linux for a couple of weeks, so if you have a response just remember i am a N00b.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: how to see my other hard drive?

hm, there can be many reasons... To start off, check if it is recognized - go to media:/ in Konqueror (Type it in the address bar). Or in Dolphin, click on "System". See if any of the listed partitions might be the drive you're looking for - then click on it to see if you can browse it (I remember I got an error when running from liveCD). Report what you get here.
    Then, post the contents of your /etc/fstab file (if it's an internal drive, you'll want to add it here so it's always mounted).
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

May we assume that you are able to see/access your Windows partitions from Kubuntu on your sata HD? If this is so, then you have the necessary packages installed in order to read/write to HPFS/NTFS partitions. So accessing your second HD is fairly straight forward.

How is the second HD connected to your PC - internal or via USB? With it connected, and with you booted into Kubuntu, open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo fdisk -lu && cat /etc/fstab
      Scroll to the top (just after the type command) and copy then paste the output in your reply.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just remembered - if an NTFS drive is inconsistent, it will fail to mount. (I think this should be logged somewhere in kernel messages - run dmesg | grep ntfs in Konsole and see what you get). If it's that, boot Windows and run chkdisk (Scandisk?..) on it.
        Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Ok, it sees all other partitions fine, windows etc on the c: drive.
          And yes kubuntu is fully installed and updated.
          That is the sata bootup hard drive I have that has kubuntu and windows both installed!
          Kubuntu sees all files on this drive with no problems whatsoever.
          Kubuntu for some reason or another does not even know "my other hard drive" connected through an IDE cable internally exist!
          Here is what i am getting when i run command:

"Disk /dev/sda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders, total 160836480 sectors
          Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
          Disk identifier: 0x14dc14dc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 * 63 73417049 36708493+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
          /dev/sda2 73417050 151557209 39070080 83 Linux
          /dev/sda3 151557210 160826714 4634752+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          # /dev/sda2
          UUID=764a030b-3830-4582-b17b-b462ce7d1b87 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
          # /dev/sda1
          UUID=8C18A88418A86EC0 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
          # /dev/sda3
          UUID=078f47d0-b052-424d-aec8-437f2de64878 none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
          /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
          #Added by diskmounter utility
          /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0"

You see, it does not even know its there. the other drive is a 180 gig IDE drive.
          Any suggestions?
          I will boot in windows and and do a disk check.
          Windows sees drive as letter D: (with no problems)

Comment

hm, that's strange... If it isn't getting detected, see if the controller works.
            Code:
            lspci | grep IDE
            Anyway, what's this sdb1 in /etc/fstab? if it's NTFS like you claim, the entry specifying vfat shouldn't be there. Comment the whole line out.

EDIT: even better, do
            Code:
            ls /dev/ | grep sd
            and see if it's missing there too.

Comment

here is what i get when i use that command:

ptysd
              sda
              sda1
              sda2
              sda3
              ttysd
              b0xx@MaIN:~$ lspci | grep IDE
              00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
              00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
              00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
              b0xx@MaIN:~$

So i guess that means its working right?
              But it still does not see it.

Comment

Really weird...
                One thing that's bugging me is why is the drive slave - single devices should be 'masters'. You could switch it to master to see if it works but (warning!) it is likely that if that drive contains the bootrecord or is in any way relevant to the boot process, it may crap out.
                A sure-fire way to determine this is to simply disconnect the drive - if you computer can still boot all operating systems, you can safely switch the drive to master and leave it like that. If you can't boot, just forget it ;-)

On the other hand, you haven't told us what the history of this system is about - the entry in /etc/fstab suggest it HAS worked in the past? If it did, I don't get why is it assigned vfat type... :S

Third option is some kind of incompatibility with the kernel - enter
                Code:
                dmesg
                in Konsole and paste the output here. There may be an error logged - either way, I'm getting the feeling It's some kind of IDE<->SATA emulation or something. If it is, you may need to get into BIOS setup and switch it to native mode.

Anyway, try the dmesg command and disconnecting the drive first.

Comment

I have a dual boot scenario Windows XP and Kubuntu, kubuntu is on a seperate drive with the grub loader on the windows XP drive.

The only thing I had to do in order for kuuntu to see my Windows XP NTFS partitions was to install ntfs-config:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
                  then run this code:

Code:
                  sudo ntfs-config
                  This will display a window that will allow you to enable read write support for ntfs drives and partitions.

You should then see your NTFS partitions mounted under Media

Comment

myxal,
                    why is my second hard drive slave?
                    or you kidding?
                    so windows could see it!
                    if it wasn't windows doesn't see it, at least on every computer i've ever pwned!
                    Also my kubuntu sometimes will see my drives and other boots it wont.
                    who knows, I dont know **** about linux, but i got compiz running and that sure is neat!

Comment

Working...
                    X