This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest home network tool?

I did a search and can't find a unified source for what I need to do. I found one that noted 'kpf' but the kpf handbook link seems to be off line.

I have been using Kubuntu since Dapper, but never really bothered to do this:

I have 2 laptops and one desktop at home. On occasion, I would like to share resources between them, at minimum a few file folders. I thing know how to mark sharing for folders using kde in konqueror. I don't need major security just because the nature of the stuff in the folders would be relatively uninteresting What tools (I am a graphical guy so let's stay away from konsole), should I tinker with to allow my laptop to see shared folders on my desktop.

Ideally, sharing the printer at my desktop would be ideal, but I guess I should work one step at a time.

Re: Easiest home network tool?

Probably some people on this forum that can really help you with this, but we need more info.
    1. Are all of the computers running Kubuntu, or are there other OS's in the mix? Windows? Which one?

2. Are you using a router to connect all the computers?

Comment

Detonate is right.
      All linux network = NFS Network file system)
      I don't know if there is gui nfs admin/setup tool for ubuntu / debian.
      Maybe google has an answer

Linux / wndows mix = samba
      There are a few gui tools for samba.

sharing printes can also be done in various ways depending on the environment.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so vague. Yes, all machines are running kubuntu 7.10 and yes, they are running through a router via wireless (desktop is wireless also); printer is hard wired via usb to desktop.

I used to know how to do this in XP so if there is some similar graphical tool that would assist me in doing this, that would be great.

I can work with konsole but it is usually cumbersome and I have to copy and paste the commands into a text file because I can't remember all the details of the scripts needed.

Comment

Well after reading ur post a second time I think you may be looking for a FTP client. If so Filezilla is a good one.

http://filezilla-project.org

If you are looking for a network administration tool you may want to look at webmin.

http://www.webmin.com/

David

Comment

Right click on kicker > Add Applet to Panel... > Public File Server

Configure the server to share a folder. Then add one on each computer you want to share files from.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

ZeroConf

Zero Configuration Networking is a system that automatically creates an IP network without configuration or servers. This type of setup allows users without the knowledge of networking to easily configure a simple network.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Like everything in Linux, there are more ways than one to skin the cat.

Want to share a directory in kubuntu, right click on it, properties, share. That will bring up a GUI for enableing sharing.

Personally, I have my machines running an openssh server and use the Fish protocol in konqueror. To my desktop it would be 'fish://username@192.168.1.101' (replacing username with who you want) and it will then ask for the password. You then have full access to that users files and permissions.

Sharing the printer can easily be done under printers option in the control center.

Comment

And to add another way to skin that cat, i use Samba, because I have windows machines in my network, but you can use Samba for just linux machines.

Comment

I was going to add using "fish://" since it also allows me to access my desktop across the internet.

What I didn't want to do was to confuse the cat skinner by giving him too many options.

Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I'll try a few of these things and see which one best suits my needs. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X