X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual booting xp and kubuntu help

Hey Everyone
    I'm new to Linux and it has been giving me some specific problems with dual booting. I have a Dell Inspiron with a 40 GB internal and a 320 GB WD External. My plan was to leave the internal drive as is, because it has very little free space (~8 GB total) and to boot Kubuntu off the external. Seemed easy enough. Unfortunately I am one of those who got tricked by Kubuntu displaying my external as (hd0) and my internal as (hd1) in the first install I and overwrote the mbr for the internal hard drive. Being totally new to Linux, it took me a long time to discover what the hell went wrong but once I did I ran Super GRUB Disc and fixed my Windows MBR. I also used the command line in GRUB to relocate and remount one of my Kubuntu partitions which I was then able to run, but only through GSD. My partitions are now all crazy from my experimenting and re-installing and I was going to merge these partitions and run the install again, making sure to keep my hds straight. But I was wondering if it is possible, and if so is it at all beneficial or easier to put a relatively small /boot partition on the internal, and then to mount separate /home, /root, /etc and so on from the external? Any time I've tried to boot of a /boot sector on my external, I get the black screen. Don't know if that's because of my crappy software configuring or a BIOS issue with my external. Would appreciate any help I can get- I'd love to get it right this time.

Re: dual booting xp and kubuntu help

I think the /boot partition on the internal drive would work. Search here in the forums, Qqmike has many posts regarding GRUB and USB drives. You are very likely to find something useful.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

While there are extensive instructions on booting from the USB drive, the reality is that it is kind of an "unnatural" thing to ask of your computer. If you can stand the reconfiguration challenge, I'm confident things will work better for the longer term if you would install both Windows and Kubuntu on the internal drive, and use the external one for data storage. A 10GB partition for Kubuntu would be very ample -- it really only needs 6, but you might have the occasional need to save a few things in /home. So, 29GB for Windows on the first partition, a 1Gb swap space, and the rest for Kubuntu would be a great setup, I would think.

Comment

Thanks a lot to both of you. About to do it the way you suggested, Dibl. Too much hassle for me and my computer the other way

Comment

I hope others go and vote...http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091958.0

Mike
          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pepe55
            Thanks a lot to both of you. About to do it the way you suggested, Dibl. Too much hassle for me and my computer the other way
            Excellent. Last advice for today: Use GParted to make the partitions, install Windows first and Kubuntu second. The resulting boot menu should be good to go, automatically.

Comment

Working...
            X