X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu-desktop

i downloaded ubuntu 7.1

but i found out i hate the gnome environment. the problem is i cant apt-get install kubuntu-desktop like it says to do in the faq area of the site.

i get the error message "Couldn't find package kubuntu-desktop", same thing happens when i try it through synaptic.

i really dont want to reinstall kubuntu, because ubuntu just seems to run a bit more stable than kubuntu did.

where can i go to install the kubuntu desktop?

oh, eh. i am running 64 bit too (if that would make a difference)

Re: kubuntu-desktop

That's odd -- I wonder if your source list is correct.

Can you open Synaptic and scroll down to the "K"s and see if kubuntu-desktop is there?

Comment

no its not there, but i updated my source list.

oh. i see. i had to add more repositories. and then reload through synaptic.

thats strange that ubuntu's repository list would not extend to kubuntu, gobuntu, xubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by xeno

thats strange that ubuntu's repository list would not extend to kubuntu, gobuntu, xubuntu.
        Yes it is!

But, however, I think you can install it now.

Comment

alright! thanks!

it installed, but now how do i switch it over to kde? restart? do i need to uninstall all my gnome programs? if i do uninstall them would it affect the stability of ubuntu, because it would be nice to free up some of the space it uses.

also, when i try to install my graphic driver for my 7900, it says i need to close my x servers. i know how to do that, but when i close them everything just goes black, a few command lines pop up, and i cant type anything in. i type it in, press enter and nothing. if i cant command line install it from there, do i need to boot kde back up? i dont know if it restarts the x-server again. the only i can get back to me gui is if i restart my computer. and when i boot back up, it gives me the same error messages.

i have my restricted drivers enabled, but those seem to be some pretty old n-vidia drivers. the ones i get off the website are a newer release.

Comment

Logout or end your current session. Then at the login screen select 'KDE' from the session list.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by xeno

also, when i try to install my graphic driver for my 7900, it says i need to close my x servers.
                Download and install Envy, from here. You want the file at the bottom of the OS table, where it says "Get Envy Legacy" (assuming your aren't running Hardy Heron).

Once it is installed, as evidenced by the icon in your KMenu>System menu, you can also run it from the CLI, by entering
                Code:
                sudo envy -t
                Envy will take care of shutting down KDM prior to installing the Nvidia driver.

Comment

oh!

sorry its been a few days. work n all that.

thanks!

Comment

alright.

so i install it, but it gets to the point where it says its

Setting up nvidia-glx-new-dev (1:169.12+2.6.22-14) ...

Cleaning the build system:
                    NOTE: The following are only warnings

The build system is now clean
                    ENVY: Operation Complete
                    root@***:/usr/share/envy#
                    then i restart, and its all messed up. everything is sorta blown up.

Comment

Mmmmmm -- you didn't need be root to do that -- I hope you were careful and didn't mess up your user folder with root privileges!

You say "messed up" -- do you mean it's 640x480 but you want 1280x1024, or something like that? That can be changed like this:

Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" with no quote marks. This will open the nvidia setting panel, and on one of the tabs is the resolution. When you set it, then click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right, and then when you restart the X server it will be the new resolution.

Comment

Working...
                      X