This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open a new Kate for each file?

Is there someway to open a kate editor for each file I open with Kate?

If I open a text file on desktop 1 it gets opened in Kate. But if I afterwards open another text file on desktop 4 it gets opened in the Kate editor already opened on desktop 1.

Could be nice if a Kate editor was only associated with each Desktop or that a new one was opened for each file opened.

Re: Open a new Kate for each file?

kate allows you to either start a new session for each file or open in "tabs" in column list.

Change your session options in kate go to settings configure kate and sessions set whether you want a new session each time and/or set it to prompt for user everytime a file is opened.
    "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

I have already chosen "Start new session" but all files are opened in the same kate editor.

Comment

Right-click on the entry for Kate in the K Menu, select Edit this item, then remove the -u or --use from the Command: field.

Hope that helps.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

No that won't work since I just double click files on the desktop. I never open Kate from the menu, it automatically opens when I double click files.

Comment

You could also allocate it to manually choose session in settings so it will prompt for new or existing session.
            "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblop
              No that won't work since I just double click files on the desktop. I never open Kate from the menu, it automatically opens when I double click files.
              Won't work or doesn't work? Did you try it first at all?
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

The '--use' must be removed in the File Associations with in kcontrol.

Alt-F2 > kcontrol > Enter

KDE Components > File Associations > Text > Plain Text

Select 'kate' from the 'Application Preference Order' (it should be at the top)

Click 'Edit...' > 'Application' tab > 'Command' > remove '--use'

Click 'OK' > Apply

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks that did the job!

Comment

Working...
                  X