This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz

I was told to install compiz and emerald in the package manager, after I install them the emerald theme manager comes up but no compiz, when i type compiz in the terminal I get this

user@PC2:~$ compiz
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    No whitelisted driver found
    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
    no /usr/bin/metacity found, exiting
    user@PC2:~$

any Ideas
    I want the cube and stuff
    I will not take any responsability if you PC explodes in my helping process

Re: Compiz

First of all we need more information about your system and the graphics adapter being used I.e nVidia, ATI, Intel e.t.c.

Please go to a terminal window (Konsole) and type

Code:
    lspci
    Then cut and paste the information in a reply here

here is mine, my laptop anyway:

Code:
    spike@Spike-Laptop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY
    02:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
    02:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
    02:04.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem (rev 02)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VM (KM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)
    02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
    03:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
    spike@Spike-Laptop:~$

Comment

Please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

same here couldn't find compiz icon after installing it. i followed the installation guidelines in help.ubuntu...

Comment

Hi,

mabye this one causes the trouble. can anyone tell me what this means and how to do it? it's one of the guidelines on how to install ATI driver.

Make sure fglrx is not disabled in the DISABLED_MODULES part: kdesu kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Thanks!

Comment

I can get the affect manager now after restarting but I cant seem to get it working after getting help of my freind and it is right but the compiz error message seems to be the same

anyway my graphics card is a fx 5200 by nvidia

Comment

Have you used the Restricted Driver manager to install the drivers necessary for 3D Acceleration?

I'm trying to make sure that you have all the steps covered, I have a Nvidia 8400GS and this installs fine with the Restricted Driver Manager. Once it installed I tested its ability to do direct rendering, this was done in Konsole:

Code:
               glxinfo | grep direct
              Of which the response was yes

You won't be able to use Compiz-Fusion without first of all installing the driver and configuring your xorg.conf file.

Comment

i got a 8400 gs in my new machine lol anyway so in steps what do i do to get it up and running when i installed it it came up something about drivers but i havent seen it ever since

Comment

This is quite simple goto:

K-menu > System Settings > Click Advance Tab > Then Go To Restricted (It looks like a microchip).

It should display a driver for you to install, tick the box and you should be able to install it at this point. When it has finished you will need to reboot. Once you have rebooted and logged back in, go to a terminal and type:

Code:
                  sudo nvidia-settings
                  You will get a window very similar to the nVidia control panel in windows, change your reolution settings there and don't forget to click the button that updates your xorg.conf file. Log out, then log back in again.

You should be ready at this stage

Make sure you have installed these packages:

compiz-kde
                  compiz-fusion-plugins-main
                  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
                  compizconfig-settings-manager
                  emerald
                  librsvg2-common

Install them by typing in a terminal or my using the adept package manager

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install <Package Name>
                  Once installed press Alt+F2 this will bring up the run window, type this:

Code:
                  compiz --replace
                  This will bring compiz-fusion into effect

You may want to visit www.kde-look.org and download some emerald window decorations.

If you wish to play around with any of the setting within emerald or compiz, you will find these under setting in your K-Menu.

Comment

Thank you so much your a star!

Comment

Working...
                    X