X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUbuntu problems! Need Urgent help !

1'st whenever I use to close Dolphin I used to get this error :|
    Code:
    Unable to save bookmarks in /home/shashwat/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.
    Well it was solved by using this command for a short period of time.. But the problem is still there :mad:
    Code:
    sudo chown shashwat /home/shashwat/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
    Now whenever I try to cut/copy past any file in NTFS partition I get this error ..

Code:
    Could not change permissions for
    /media/sda5/KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.7_Kubuntu_Mod.tar.gz
    Here is my fstab output
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config -- 
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sda3 :
    UUID=2984bfc4-e289-417b-829e-5870488b4fbf / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
    UUID=CCE44E48E44E354C /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    UUID=15BEB5322F467B42 /media/sda5 ntfs-3g defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda6 :
    UUID=0BCF489D1C56ABAA /media/sda6 ntfs-3g defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    UUID=331259EB02AB33BF /media/sda7 ntfs-3g defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda4 :
    UUID=18a87f5a-5851-4fc4-a53c-8764e7fcd1a4 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

and this is my fdisk -l output
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0dd6c6bd

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
    /dev/sda1  *      1    3187  25599546  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2      3188    8287  40965750  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3      8288    9607  10602900  83 Linux
    /dev/sda4      9608    9729   979965  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda5      4406    5737  10699290  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6      5738    8287  20482843+  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda7      3188    4405   9783522  7 HPFS/NTFS

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Please help me :| I never faced this problem in Ubuntu :mad: I had even used NTFS-config but same error every time

Also my Firefox fonts have become exceptionally huge.. Even using CTRL + Mouse Wheel doesn't fix this problem permanently I am using 2.0.0.12

Also I get error while unziping archive .. I guess I don't enough privileged.. though I have added enough from USer Settings
    adm, admin, audio, cdrom, dialout, dip, disk, fax, floppy, games, lpadmin, netdev, plugdev, powerdev, root, scanner, users, video
    How to install Styles [same as gtk themes of gnome], Icons , KDM themes manually ? How to install KBFX themes ? cause using Wizard gave error that xyz archive is not correct .. Blast Kubuntu :mad:

In the end Just tell these problem are with Kubuntu or in every KDE distros././ I mean installation of icons and all..

Regards

Re: KUbuntu problems! Need Urgent help !

Now whenever I try to cut/copy past any file in NTFS partition I get this error ..

Code:
    Could not change permissions for
    /media/sda5/KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.7_Kubuntu_Mod.tar.gz
    Make sure you're a member of the "fuse" group:
    Code:
    sudo addgroup shashwat fuse
    Then, log out and back in, and try again.

Also my Firefox fonts have become exceptionally huge.. Even using CTRL + Mouse Wheel doesn't fix this problem permanently I am using 2.0.0.12
    Go to "KMenu -> System Settings -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts -> GTK Fonts" and try changing the settings there.

How to install Styles [same as gtk themes of gnome], Icons , KDM themes manually ? How to install KBFX themes ?
    Install styles:
    &#160; This depends on the type of package and which style is required.&#160; If it's a *.kth file, and you have the required style installed, you can press Alt+F2, run "kcontrol", click the "Appearance & Themes" drop-down arrow, select "Theme Manager" from the list, and click the "Install New Theme..." button.&#160; If the theme is a *.tar.gz package, instructions for installing it should be in the unpacked archive in either a file labeled "INSTALL" or "README".

Install icons:
    &#160; "KMenu -> System Settings -> Appearance -> Icons -> Install New Theme..."

Install KDM themes manually:
    &#160; Check out this link.

Install KBFX themes:
    You should just be able to install them from the KBFX configurator theme window.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Ok I somehow managed to over come the NTFS problem. .But still If I d o CUt paste the file remains in both the location Also I have create a new account to over come the previous problem I think I f ail to add Admin group . as a result Iam facing this problem .>I am unable to use applications that need Administrator Privileged .. Now I cannot edit User Accounts too..How to solve this problem

[img width=400 height=252]http://www.imgx.org/pfiles/5510/snapshot1.png[/img]

Comment

Try running Adept Manager with the command
        Code:
        kdesu adept_manager
        You should be able to enter your password and run it as root if you've correctly set up your user privileges; if not, reboot into Recover Mode and add your username to the admin group, and try again.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          Try running Adept Manager with the command
          Code:
          kdesu adept_manager
          You should be able to enter your password and run it as root if you've correctly set up your user privileges; if not, reboot into Recover Mode and add your username to the admin group, and try again.
          You are not getting my point.. I was not getting these type of errors before.. I know I can do that then what about GUI ?How to open User settings in Admin mode so I can edit my user account ?

Comment

none of the commands like sudo , kdesu or gksu are working now what to do Should I re-install it ?

Comment

I'm going to advise "yes" because it doesn't look like you've had your system long enough to accumulate much new data, and I think the installation practice will help you build your Linux skills.

I think you went wrong when you associated the first error reported above:

Unable to save bookmarks in /home/shashwat/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied.
              with the second problem you had:

Could not change permissions for /media/sda5/KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.7_Kubuntu_Mod.tar.gz
              It's a normal tendency to associate things that happen around the same time, but I don't think those two issues were related. The first one is a well-documented bug -- I once called it a "Dolphin bug" and someone straightened me out that it is some other KDE bug that affects how Dolphin saves that file -- oh well. A search on this forum will reveal many posts, and the solution to it.

The second problem is different.

You need to be VERY CAREFUL about using "root mode" -- the Linux novice often gets the impression that the only impediment to doing whatever he wants is the limitation of his user permissions, and so he "becomes root" and unwittingly trashes his system by attaching root permissions to all kinds of things, including his own data. So, you always want to "think twice" before you do things in Super User mode.

If the second problem comes up again after you have reinstalled the OS, and installed ntfs-3g, then we'll be happy to help.

Comment

Ok will do .. I know installation.. I have been using gnome past 2 years .. But never used KDE.. The only thing I missed is providing sufficient privileged to my account.. Will do that after finishing my exams

Comment

Working...
                X