This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally lost

Virgin installer here, having a good time tooling around and finding my way, but... I am at a loss for a few things:
    1) how do I install Frostwire? -- when I try to install, I keep getting a message that another program is using the installer and that I must close it in order to continue -- there are no other programs running that I can see, so what do I do?

2) where do I find and how do I install the drivers for my Logitec quickcam and/or my Panasonic PS-gv9 miniDV?

I have made my way through the forums here, but cant seem to pinpoint answers to my specific questions and really don't get the terminology, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    I have NO clue as to what I am doing -- HELP !!??

Re: Totally lost

Installing FrostWire using the Debian .deb file
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This might get you started with you webcam issues:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089757.0

found using the search function of this forum
      There is a lot more where that came fom
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...action=search2
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Okay guys, I have tried loading Frostwire using GDebi package installer and it keeps telling me that something else is running and it wont work, but there is nothing there

as far as the cams go, Im an idiot and dont know what to do in the Konsole to make it work........sorry

Comment

Close GDebi. Open a console and type:

Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          should fix it, else continue with
          Code:
          sudo apt-get clean
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok -- have tried the console formula you just gave me and couldnt get passed the first line, it would ask for a [sudo] password from me and wouldnt let me enter any text at all - passwords or otherwise.

feeling overwhelmed

Comment

When you type your password in the termainal you won't see anything. it is a security thing. Just type the password and press enter

Comment

something i found, that really helped me whenever i got that problem, "adept cannot commit" or smthing -

sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get -f install
                just one line.

Comment

1) Frostwire:

I have used the command line information to make an attempt to install this program, but it will not install. It goes through the mothions as if its going to do something and when its done, the last window disappears and there is no trace of Frostwire anywhere, nit even when I do a search for it. Where do I go from here?

2) Webcam and Digicam

Here also, I have used the command line info to clear the package installer, but no cameras come up as being recognized. I checked the list that is native to this OS and it does not list my particulars cams, but items close -- I am using a Logitec Quickcam Express and a Panasonic miniDV PV-gs9

3) I am now getting a "pop-up" window in the top left corner of my screen that reads as follows, " AUTOMATIC PROXY CONFIGURATION : Could not find a useable proxy configuration script" -- what does this mean and how do I correct it?

Comment

Frostwire: I installed it with gdebi. It is working just fine in GG (7.10).

Webcam: don't know.

Automatic proxy: who or what is sending this pop up? I have never seen this.

What version of kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Have a look at this:
                      http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/6463/3/

As mentioned before by fredh your version of Kubuntu would be helpful
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys, but maybe its just me because I am doing all of these things you suggest and nothing is happening -- I dont know, maybe its not meant to be. IF possible, I would like to get as much input on this today --

Comment

In answer to your question what version I am using: 7.10 -- I have tried gdebi and got nothing.

New Issue: my wireless adapter has failed (belkin54g wireless router and adapter) -- I am not gettting prompts that tell me "incorrect gateway ip" -- everything has been working fin to this point, now I dont know what to do short of a format and fresh install.

Comment

Working...
                          X