This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail Help

Hi there! I'm a bit new to this, having just switched over from Windows. It took a bit to get a handle on this, but I think I'm starting to get an idea. Anyway, everything's running smoothly, and I've no complaints, though I'm still getting some quirks with kmail. When I open up Kontact, and go to Kmail, it logs into my gmail account, it connects and authenticates correctly, and I can get new mail. However, whenever I try to check the archived email, I get this error:

Error while querying the server status.
    Unable to open folder [Gmail]. The server replied: Unknown Mailbox: [Gmail] (now in authenticated state) (Failure)

Also, I'm unsure as to how to set Firefox to be the default browser for Kmail and other applications. I've tried "sudo update-alternatives list --x-www-browser" but that doesn't seem to work. Am I doing it wrong or so?

Re: Kmail Help

this might help..
    make sure that your imap on gmail is active
    you can do this by going into your gmail account and setting it under settings
    Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Comment

It is. Before this, I set up Imap Gmail for Thunderbird on XP

Comment

Have you updated to KDE 3.5.9? I was not able to use IMAP with kmail using KDE 3.5.8. This should be fixed in the new update. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Features_3.5.9. You have to add the 3.5.9 repository to apt. Instructions here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-359.php

Let us know if this fixes the issue. I haven't updated since I don't use google on a regular basis.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

How did you set kmail up to access your gmail account?

Did you try and set up gmail for pop access instead of imap?
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well, the account is listed as an IMAP account...

Also, I'm not really sure how to do manual installs. If someone could help me understand that process, I'd love to learn it. My knowledge of the command line grows, but it's slow, and there's a lot of functions I've been trying to get done in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecopirate
              Also, I'm unsure as to how to set Firefox to be the default browser for Kmail and other applications. I've tried "sudo update-alternatives list --x-www-browser" but that doesn't seem to work. Am I doing it wrong or so?
              KMenu - System Settings - Default Applications - Web Browser - click In the Following Browser: -type firefox (in the Box) or firefox -new tab to open the e-mail web link in a new tab in an already open firefox.

Comment

Well, the account is listed as an IMAP account...
                Where in gmail? I think you can use pop download there. I do.

Also, I'm not really sure how to do manual installs. If someone could help me understand that process, I'd love to learn it. My knowledge of the command line grows, but it's slow, and there's a lot of functions I've been trying to get done in the mean time.
                What do you mean by that?
                OS install, app install?
                Can you give us an example?
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I think Dennis99 solved it. Thanks!

As for installations, I meant apps and that such. I'd download a .tar, extract the file, and I have no idea really where to go from there. Some files I can open with the package manager, but not always. I just want to have a better understanding of how to install applications and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecopirate
                    I just want to have a better understanding of how to install applications and so forth.
                    Laudable. But until you have gained this understanding, you will be served better to utilize Adept Manager for installing applications. Adept Manager contains packages (applications) that are designed to work with your current installed version of Kubuntu. You need to be very careful about downloading packages you find on the Internet. You need to know what archived packages are and are not designed for Kubuntu. which is a Debian based Linux OS.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X