This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine issue

For the third time, I have installed wine without getting it to work.
    It seems to be installed fine, but when I add programs to it under "applications". nothing becomes of them. They are not in the wine menu, and when I go back into the config page, they are not there.

I have tried WinZip (the demo recommended) and Irfanview, the program I can't live without.

I'm not getting any error messages.

Re: Wine issue

I didn't want to install Irfanview (honest) - but I read on a blog that someone couldn't install it under Wine and (being perverse) I wanted to try. When I did install it I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. Gthumb and other Linux equivalents are just as good.

1) There is a huge (sometimes angry) debate which rages about the use of Automatix2. Some people say DON'T use it and some people DO use it. I have used it in the past and have never had any significant problems. It does automatically install Wine... ( I also liked a website called Dave's Corner but it seems to have disappeared)

2) I found that I could not install Irfanview under straight Wine. For some reason it did run when I installed Wine-Doors. There is little logic to that because Wine-Doors enables you to install NAMED programs under Wine - and Irfanview is NOT one of those named programs...but it installed and ran...

3) I have also experimented with PlayOnLinux. When I first tried it was in French and had to be changed to English.

I think that there is plain Wine, Wine-Doors adds a little extra (like Wine+) and PlayOnLinux adds a bit more (like Wine++)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Wine issue

Hmm. I was hoping such a small and simple application would be easy.

I like Irfanview because if I open an image or movie, it stretches it to full screen, flips through files with the arrow keys, and when I hit escape the program shuts down entirely.

It loads and image or video clip in under a second, and if all I want to do is view an image, I never see the application or even any of its buttons or toolbars at all.

I could live without many of it's options like the photo shop filters and things like batch resample, multiple scan, and contact sheets.

The smooth fade in/fade out transition from one image to another would be missed, though.

Can you think of an imaging program that will open in full screen, and disappear when exited?

I hate programs that resize the image without resampling, or full screen without resizing to the window size. I'd also rather it have no tool bars or buttons when viewing.

Comment

Working...
      X