Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solved: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error&quot

Looks like you have a hidden HP recovery partition. That's probably the sdc.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=47015&lang=en

And otherwise, I don't see why your BIOS wouldn't support the 320 GB, although there may be some BIOS setting to adjust. Have you asked HP about this issue? As yet, I haven't run into anything on the HP site or Asus. Could it be an issue with a BIOS update? I did see some stuff re drive mappings, but it was with regard to networking.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Help: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error&quot

Knowing little of Linux but much of Windows, you could try the following to revive the stock Windows boot record:

Start the XP cd, enter recovery console, get the C: promt, and enter "fixmbr". Agree to everything, and give it a shot.

If this doesn't work, It's definitely not a Linux issue. Your HD has borked, and you need to format it and scan the disk.

Does anyone know how to read smartdisk info in Linux?

This needs to be done.

Comment

The thing is, my hard drive was just fine (320GB) before I deleted the partitions, wiped the drive, and reinstalled my OSes. I used Boot and Nuke on Hirens Boot CD, and I think maybe that has contributed to all this confusion.

I entered my BIOS and my BIOS even says I only have 160GB hard drive. But I know that's not true. I've had this PC for about 3+ years now. I bought it brand-new, as you might say.

Before reformatting, I was dual-booting Ubuntu and XP.

I also ran a SMART short test in BIOS and it passed with no errors.

Now, I did notice something. BIOS reading said my CPU temp was 67 C while I was in BIOS. I also have PC Wizard 2008 installed in Windows, and it reads a CPU temp of 33 C. - Is that just because fan was not running while I was in BIOS?

PC Wizard says my mainboard temp is 73 C. That seems high compared to the other temps, but I don't know? I googled for normal mainboard temp, but I must not be using the right search query or something because I can't come up with anything useful. Update: My mainboard temp dropped to 54 C and has stayed there for a few minutes, so maybe it was just that high from starting up?

My hard disk temp is 37 C.

My fan runs pretty much non-stop whenever I use the computer (and off and on when its idle), but it has done that since I first bought it. I clean out the dust (and cat hair...) every other week (compressed air) and make sure the tower has enough room to breathe. I've left the case open before but that doesn't seem to reduce how often my fan runs.

So, I guess my next question is, how do I get BIOS to see that I have a 320GB hard drive?

I have a Seagate ST3160021A, or at least that's what BIOS says. I downloaded the SeaTools ISOs from Seagate's website, but have not tried them out yet since I saw Snowhog's post about BIOS.

I don't need the HP partition (I don't think?) since I am not using the OEM install of XP Home, I would be okay with zeroing that. But, if it's a hassle, I'm okay with leaving it there too.

Going to run the SeaTools stuff now and see what that tells me.

Comment

Okay, so.... don't hate me....

I just read the label on my HD and it's... 160GB.

*ducks*

Wow, I feel stupid. But relieved.

I must have gotten the number 320GB stuck in my head because I just bought an external hard drive for the purpose of backing up my data to do this reinstall. I have another computer with a 160GB drive, so when I was deciding what size external to buy I added them together and came up with 320GB. I guess then my synapses misfired and I attached the 320GB number to my hard drive.

My screenname isn't synaptik/chaos (although I left that part off) for nothing.

Still not sure how the boot sector got corrupted, but... at least that's fixed and everything is okay now.

Once again, I can't thank you enough for all the help. You'll have to send me your next bartab! It's the least I could do...

Comment

Re: Solved: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error&quot

Don't you just love it when, after so much effort, you find, like the famous Pogo quote says: "We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us."

At least you solved your problem.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Solved: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error"

Reminds me of the time I spent an entire day trying to figure out why my USB hard disk wasn't showing up, only to find out I had plugged it into the network port.

To this very day, I can't believe they are the same size!

Comment

Re: Solved: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error&quot

That's just to funny!! That one still has me laughing!!

Comment

Re: Solved: Cannot boot into Windows after installing Kubuntu ("disk read error"

Seriously, I must have plugged it in and out a dozen times. I was using a notebook, and the ethernet port was right beside the USB, so I just assumed I had it right. It wasn't until I looked at the back with a flashlight to see if my USB had a broken contact or something that I realized what I had done.

I was frozen in time for a solid 10 seconds, just staring at the back of my computer, trying to comprehend what I had just wasted an entire day off on.

Comment

Just goes to show, you can put a slotted peg into a square hole!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Don't you just love it when, after so much effort, you find, like the famous Pogo quote says: "We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us."
                      That is very much the feeling that swept over me! lol

I am happy to have this all sorted out finally though. It's a very big relief.

Dwindle.... all I can say is I feel your pain. You made me feel a little better though. Haha.

Comment

synaptik , It must be telepathy (or we drink the same beer). I'm sitting here at 4:30 am ready to type the obvious when I read your post just now: open the case and look at the HDD label!

Don't feel bad. I've recently done similar. Three Seagates: Two 160 GB SATAs in my machine and a "newer" 320 GB SATA in an external enclosure that I only use for experiments/testing (actually I ONLY bought it to test Kubuntu on external USB HDD to write my How-To on that subject). Well, twice I've had to look at that 320 in BIOS because I keep thinking it's a third 160 in the external enclosure that I have. And I keep thinking I have 2 GB RAM, but only have one because I never did get around to adding the second gig.

Looks like TestDisk *apparently * did detect the hidden partition; if so, that's pretty cool.

Glad you got this one behind you! Gee, I forgot the original question ...
                        --Mike
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Dwindle
                          Seriously, I must have plugged it in and out a dozen times. I was using a notebook, and the ethernet port was right beside the USB, so I just assumed I had it right. It wasn't until I looked at the back with a flashlight to see if my USB had a broken contact or something that I realized what I had done.

I was frozen in time for a solid 10 seconds, just staring at the back of my computer, trying to comprehend what I had just wasted an entire day off on.
                          So, i'm not the only one... Only in my case it was a camera, and in Windows.

Comment

If you run kubuntu liveCD then you should be able to access your windows partition.
                            The partition should be attached to the kubuntu filesystem at /media/home, and should be called disk or something like that.

You want to boot back into windows why??

LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Working...
                            X