This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial Update - Adept Errors

After running Windows since 3.1 I decided to get into using Linux and it looked like the ubuntu series was the place to start.

After doing a fresh install of kubuntu 7.10, while processing the initial 128 updates, adept returns a "could not commit changes" error about 60% of the way through the update. It continues to the end of the update and returns a list of files that returned errors. I took a screenshot of those.
    [img width=400 height=250]http://lh3.google.com/MDemyan18/R529CVWcjlI/AAAAAAAAABY/m5ymvrqzoys/snapshot12.png?imgmax=1024[/img]

I did remove third party sources from my repository.

Even though it returns the "could not commit changes" error it seems to run fine.

It also gave me a "could not commit changes" error when I activated the restricted drivers for my nVidia 8600 GTS card, but it appears those drivers are active and in use.

I do have ubuntu 7.10 installed on another partition on this hard drive and during installation and updating of that install it returned no errors.

Is this just a problem with the adept program under KDE?

Are my files updated or does adept just think they are?

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Re: Initial Update - Adept Errors

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0820.msg112583

Comment

Originally posted by MDemyan
      After doing a fresh install of kubuntu 7.10,
      Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages.

If after this, Adept is still reporting errors, then:

To fix Adept errors:
      Open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      should fix it, else continue with
      Code:
      sudo apt-get clean
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok, i'm having pretty much the same prob. just wanna run it by you guys and then you can lemme know what i need to do.

i'm migrating from ubuntu to kubuntu and never had any error related probs with ubuntu. during the use of the kubuntu live/install cd i got this error. " could not start process, unable to create io-slave: klauncher said:." i clicked on ok and the error didn't seem to affect anything. i went on and installed kubuntu.

after the install it told me i had some ~150 updates. so it downloaded the updated and proceeded to install them. just as the original poster stated, at 60% completion it gave the error "there was and error committing changes. possibly there was a problem.......... blah blah blah." right after i click ok it goes to a new window and tells me "a new distribution version is available! click next if you wish to upgrade now." i then go ahead and click next only to receive this message. "unable to get exclusive lock. this usually means that another package management app is already running." however, the apt manager is no where to be seen, and is not displayed in the taskbar. it could possibly still be running in the background, but i couldn't put my finger on it in the performance monitor.

sooooooo, what's goin on here and what do i need to do to make sure that the updates were installed, etc. i'm still a ubuntu/kubuntu newb after finally deciding to ditch xp and just make myself learn this o.s.

your help is appreciated.

Comment

The steps snowhog posted above should work. The same thing happened to me: on my computer, I migrated from ubuntu to kubuntu, no problem. When I installed Kubuntu on my wife's computer with the actual Kubuntu CD, evidently there is one package that stalls the initial system setup. When you reboot, the package manager has left all these unpacked packages all over its work area. So, the updater comes into that area and says "Huh -- looks like somebody's still busy here." The other program isn't actually running, no. But it needs to be run, as above, because it got caught midstream.
          Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Originally posted by Noremacyug

at 60% completion it gave the error "there was and error committing changes. possibly there was a problem.......... blah blah blah."
            When I see that in Adept Manager, usually I just close it and pop open the Konsole and do
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Code:
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install
            Code:
            sudo apt-get autoclean
            and close the Konsole. That works about 80% of the time. The rest of the time you can usually just try again later or the next day -- the repositories are in the process of being refreshed or something.

It would be nice if they would put the code in Adept Manager that would let it work around the "Y/n" user prompts in the download script, but until they do ......

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              It would be nice if they would put the code in Adept Manager that would let it work around the "Y/n" user prompts in the download script, but until they do ......
              Yep...I agree to that. I would say 80/85% of the time I had those issues it was at a Y/N question that needed to be answered before continuing, but Adpet tries to continue and there you have it -- Broken Dependencies and therefore can't commit changes. I have also had luck going to console and:
              Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              and then going back to Adept. That has worked about 80% of the time for me.

Comment

Working...
              X