Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

    I'm still trying to get my scanner working- trying to install ISCAN. I have downloaded the rpm and used alien to convert the file. When I use dpkg, I get the following response:

    root@don-KDE:/home/spyder79/Desktop# dpkg -i iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package iscan.
    (Reading database ... 143864 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking iscan (from iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.la', which is also in package libsane-extras
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb

    Can anyone tell me what to do next? I'm way beyond my experience here... following some explicit instructions I found on this forum. I have a little bit of plumbing experience but can't find the broken pipe

    #2
    Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

    What happens, if you just click on the .deb file and select to have it installed?
    Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦
    Windows no longer obstruct my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

      Just so I'm clear on what you're suggesting... I can click on the .deb file (which is currently on my desktop) and choose EXTRACT from Ark menu. It suggests creating a destination folder, but there's no indication that anything would be installed (as I understand it). Is that what you mean?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

        Originally posted by Snowhog
        What happens, if you just click on the .deb file and select to have it installed?
        Right, I had missed that option... Gave the same result when I tried it, same message exactly.

        Comment


          #5
          Scanner installation problem, can anyone help?

          Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed from here?

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

            As said in the How To: Convert any package from one format to another (using "alien")
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087256.0

            Jucato:
            Please include a warning that this should only be taken as a last resort, when no native package is available. It is even less recommended than compiling your own package. A non-native package (for example an .rpm) even if converted to a native package (like .deb for Kubuntu) still has the potential to ruin a system. It can place files in wrong places or place wrong files in important places. So use with caution.

            Have you tried to find Debian (.deb) iscan ?

            Hmm - Debian Changelog sane-backends-extras tells:
            sane-backends-extras (1.0.18.5) unstable; urgency=low

            * Updated backend:
            + epkowa updated from iscan 2.3.0-1.
            Debian >> Packages >> Package Search Results
            You have searched for source packages that names contain sane-backends-extras
            => Binary packages: libsane-extras

            From repositories:
            libsane-extras
            API library for scanners -- extra backends (1.0.18.8 (gutsy))

            You can force packages. BUT !! as said in the dpkg man file:
            Warning: These options are mostly intended to be used by experts only. Using them without fully understanding their effects may break your whole system.
            So before you use force: man dpkg or/and man:dpkg (konqueror)

            => Using force (example):
            Code:
            sudo dpkg -i --force-all iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb

            Links:

            Ubuntu packages
            http://packages.ubuntu.com/

            Debian packages
            http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

            Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

              Thank you for the information! So libsane-extras already contains what I've been trying to install? That explains a lot of things, except of course why my scanner doesn't work. I already have the libsane-extras package installed. The information I've been reading is quite confusing, especially since it comes from various sources, written over a number of years, referencing several distributions, and concerning an evolving USB situation.

              I still don't know yet how to get my scanner working, but at least you've saved me from a potentially dangerous and unnecessary dead-end.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

                I think this may be my scanner problem:

                spyder79@don-KDE:~$ scanimage -l
                [snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin.
                [snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.
                scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:004:004 failed: Invalid argument

                Can anyone tell me what to do next? Where do I find a proper 'firmware file' and how to install it?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

                  What kind of scanner do you have ? It is connected in the usb ?

                  What tells lsusb ?
                  Here:
                  :~$ lsusb
                  Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                  Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                  Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0405 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3400cse
                  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

                  If you have epson or SnapScan scanner, maybe this helps:

                  HOWTO: Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner (and other SnapScan scanners)
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26911
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

                  Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.

                    I have an Epson Perfection 1670 and it is connected via USB.

                    spyder79@don-KDE:~$ lsusb
                    Bus 004 Device 004: ID 04b8:011f Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 1670
                    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:3104 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 960c
                    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Benq Mouse
                    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Epson Perfection 1670 scanner problem... SOLVED.

                      THANK YOU!!! I found the answer via the thread (below). At the very end of the thread I find out that there is a known bug in Feisty, a USB problem, that didn't exist in Edgy. It causes a communication problem with some scanners, which produces the exact symptoms I've been dealing with. Fortunately, there is a strange but effective work-around that seems to work for me. Supposedly this problem was fixed in Gutsy. You have to read through to the end of the thread to find the work-around.

                      Originally posted by Rog131

                      If you have epson or SnapScan scanner, maybe this helps:

                      HOWTO: Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner (and other SnapScan scanners)
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26911

                      Comment

                      Users Viewing This Topic

                      Collapse

                      There are 0 users viewing this topic.

                      Working...
                      X