This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird 1.5

I've downloaded t/bird1.5 to my desktop. Extracted it to my home folder. Aaaaaand now I'm stuck. Would someone be good enough to explain step by step what I do now, or just tell me to delete the thing and wait for the official release.

Tried
    cd thunderblahblahbla
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

returns all sorts of error messages (mostly file or directory doesn't exist type of things)

Thanks in advance for your time

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Thunderbird 1.5

Try this:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThunderbirdNewVersion
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for your reply, aysiu. I followed the instructions and successfully installed t/bird.

I don't have my address books etc. on the new version, though. I thought this command

cd
      cp -r .mozilla-thunderbird .thunderbird

would allow me to use my old profile.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Well, a couple of things here.

1. I think the command you're looking for would be
        Code:
        cp -r ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ~/.thunderbird
        2. Unfortunately, that may not work, anyway, as .mozilla-thunderbird and .thunderbird profiles don't interact with Thunderbird the same way. I can't explain it, but it just may not work.

3. You can actually do it graphically if you show hidden files in Konqueror (alt-V, then H)

4. You may be able to do it by finding the actual profile within .mozilla-thunderbird and copying it to the actual profile within .thunderbird. By "profile," I mean something with a name like
        Code:
        44vk1fop.default
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

As you thought, your first command didn't work. I have had no luck finding the file in konqueror, and can't find the mozilla-thunderbird profile. I'm not very good at this!!!
          I think I might just try and remember who I had in my address book and put them in again.

Thanks very much for trying

Cheers
          Lowey

Comment

Did you try just opening Konqueror and then pressing alt-v and then h?

Comment

So I successfully installed TB 1.5 using the link provided in this thread, but cannot find an icon for it in my program panel...it can only be run through a Konsole command. How do I create an icon for it?

Comment

Tried alt-v then h in konqueror. Alt-v drops down the view menu but h doesn't do anything.
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lowey23
                  Tried alt-v then h in konqueror. Alt-v drops down the view menu but h doesn't do anything.
                  Cheers
                  H should select "Show Hidden Files."

See this image for an example:
                  http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/0c1a6a18.png

Comment

Aysiu, thank you for your patience and help.

Found the alt-v h bit.
                    Went to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird
                    and found 4 (files?)

/6jjup3ez.Judy
                    /txld89ny.Gary
                    appreg
                    profiles.ini

Should I just copy them all over to ~/thunderbird or just profiles.ini? (Just asking so that I don't make things worse)

Cheers
                    Lowey

Comment

Now that you have your hidden files showing in Konqueror, make a backup copy of the .mozilla-thunderbird folder and called it .mozilla-thunderbird_backup. Thunderbird must be closed during this copy process.

Then just rename .mozilla-thunderbird to .thunderbird and see if it works. Otherwise, you can play around with copying the profile folder contents over to the other profile folder...

Comment

Thanks very much for your help, aysiu. I managed to get it working by moving the profile files. At least I think thats what I did. Learnt a couple of things while I was trying, though.

Thanks again,
                        Lowey

Comment

Working...
                        X