This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Laptop - Install still not working

Hi, officially my first posting in a Linux forum...

I have been wanting to try out Linux for years, but never had the time or opportunity to sit down and really go through it all...

Now, I am considering to give it a try, and figured Kubuntu could be great But... when I tried out the Live-CD on my computer, a laptop with a centrino processor, the boot froze half way through in a black screen... and nothing more happened! Are there any settings I need to change to make my laptop run a LiveCD? Tried the CD on my gf's desktop computer afterwards, worked like a charm, so the CD itself is ok.

How does Kubuntu generally run with Centrino machines? Are there any known problems?

Re: Kubuntu on Laptop

Hi,

first of all, welcome
    In fact, it depends more on hardware of this laptop, personnally I'm running kubuntu breezy and dapper on a centrino and it's working like a charm...
    did you see a message on the screen before it crashed ?

Cheers

Comment

Nope, no message, nothing - it was running through the script of startup, suddenly the screen is cleared, and two or three lines of script is shown on the bottom of the screen for a split second, and then all goes black. The live-cd is not so important in itself, what I need is to be able to test that Kubuntu supports my hardware before installing it... Processor, Video-card, wireless-card, etc...

But if there is a list of compatible hardware somewhere, maybe that could help, instead of using the LiveCD?

Comment

You could start here http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

Comment

Ok, getting a little bit confused now...

I have gone through the list of compatible hardware, and as far as I can see, my laptop is completely compatible. It is an AOpen 1557 with a Pentium M, 1,6 GHz, 60 G harddrive, everything fine...

But still the same thing keeps happening. I turn on the computer, I start the installation (no longer the LiveCD, full installation), the script starts running over the screen, and then it happens... the screen goes black, and for a split second, a line that says something like "Trying to..." is visible, before that goes away as well, and everything goes black. After that, a few seconds passes, and then the CD stops spinning, and the computer just goes silent and black...

I have been going through the different boot options in the istaller, but none of the options there seem to apply to me... (as far as me the newb can tell...)

Help anyone

Comment

Re: Kubuntu on Laptop - Install still not working

IIRC, someone else in this forum was having this same problem and figured out a fix. Search the forum archives to see if you can find a problem similar to yours.

Comment

OK, thanks

The vga=711 solved the screen problem... but could someone explain why, btw? Is it my screencard, my drivers or anything? (always learning, as it says )

Comment

If I recall correctly, vga=711 sets the frame buffer to conform to your video setup. To learn more than that, use
                google/linux.

Hope this helps,
                Al Krieger

Comment

I too have tried the live kubuntu on a powerbook g4 os X 10.2.8 and no boot up - tried many times.

I too have wanted to get into linux but this ssems to be turning into a nightmare the last 3 days I have scoured and asked numerous questions across many forums and not really any help...

any thought - I'd love to run linux fulltime...

thanks.

Comment

I was so frustrated to get even this live CD thing to work - idecided to get a small 12" laptop with kubuntu installed - should be here end of next week. hope thisis not another windows experience....

Comment

Working...
                    X