This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetworkmanager question

Just installed Kubuntu(7.1) on a 500mhz Sony Vaio laptop. I right click on the Knetwork systray, see my wireless network, select it, then I see a pop-up for the KDE Wallet service, enter my password, then another window opens which says "Connect to wireless Network-Knetwork manager, and the passwrod is highlighted, but the connect button is grayed out. I re-enter the network PW and click connect. Then I am online with three bars showing in the sys tray.

I am the only user of thtis laptop and would prefer zero steps after the boot the PC. Can it be configuered to automatically connect to my wifi without enetering so many passwords? can I even skip the initial password to log onto my laptop? Thanks

Re: Knetworkmanager question

I am the only user of thtis laptop and would prefer zero steps after the boot the PC. Can it be configuered to automatically connect to my wifi without enetering so many passwords? can I even skip the initial password to log onto my laptop? Thanks
    To skip the initial log-in, go to Kmenu>System Settings.
    Select the Advanced tab and then Login Manager.
    Click the Administrator Mode button at the bottom and enter your password.
    Then select the Convenience tab check the Enable Auto-Login checkbox. Apply the changes and your all set.

As for the other... I would install wicd from http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php. You can choose login at start up as one of the options.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />32bit Intel Celeron

Comment

what is wicd? Is it a replacement program for knetworkmanager? If so, do I need to follow any other steps than to download wicd? Thanks

Comment

It is a replacement that just works. Go to the site and read the information there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brush
          what is wicd? Is it a replacement program for knetworkmanager? If so, do I need to follow any other steps than to download wicd? Thanks
          Just follow the instructions at the site.

Getting an icon in the systray is not automatic... you have to do a little work... but you will be pleased in the end.
          Kubuntu 11.10<br />32bit Intel Celeron

Comment

Working...
          X