This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to get middle button working with single click

Under the previous Linux install, FC 5, under Firefox, the middle button/scroll wheel would open a new tab with a single click on a valid link.

Under Kubuntu 7.10 and Firefox, I need to use several clicks to do that.

I exchanged the mouse for a new one and the same thing happens.

In browsing the Device manager, I notice that "Macintosh mouse button emulation" is installed. Does that have anything to do with the Firefox middle button behavior?

How do I get the single middle mouse button click on a valid to link to open in a new window behavior?

Re: need to get middle button working with single click

You probably have in the Firefox > Preferences > Features: (General) Load middle-clicked URLs in the new tabs ?

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      You probably have in the Firefox > Preferences > Features: (General) Load middle-clicked URLs in the new tabs ?

Thanks unfortunately I couldn't find any page in the preferences dialogs which remotely looked like what you specified.

I browsed through the about:config and found one setting under "browser"

browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick

boolean value set to true.

So it looks like Firefox is set to do what I want. The problem may be the mouse.

I have the Microsoft wireless laser keyboard and wireless laser mouse (the set came with the new computer). Today I experimented with placing the wireless receiver closer to the mouse, a range of about 6" to 12". That seems to help considerably.

I started with the IBM keyboards and became totally spoiled with a GOOD keyboard with great tactile feedback. Bought the new computer at the Micro Center (E370) and tried every sample keyboard they had and all of the keyboards on the demo machines. All except for the Microsoft keyboard and one other were total useless for me. The keys were "mushy" - the keyboards are cheaper to make and simpler to engineer that way. Besides the Microsoft keyboard, the only exception was a flexible keyboard, casing made of silicone. Designed for laptops, you could roll the keyboard up, and for wet or chemical environments. The tactile feedback on that keyboard felt really good to me. It was only $20.00. It's almost the cheapest keyboard they have. The cheapest is $5.00 and they didn't have a sample to try of that one. If I had a laptop, that is definitely the only keyboard I would use. Sometimes the best doesn't cost the most

Comment

Browsed the Microsoft web site for information on the mouse - didn't get any with the computer and mouse (bought the demo machine and got a great price - 10% reduction - for a brand new machine). It turns out that the mouse is designed to be used very differently than my old simple mouse with scroll wheel/middle button combination.

If, instead of simply pressing down, if I press down and into the heel of my hand, I can get consistent results in a single click opening a link and vertically maximizing a window. The middle button/scroll wheel combo on this mouse can be depressed down, down to the rear, to the right and to the left. Whew.

So I have to learn a new way to use a simple(?) mouse also.

Comment

Well, the mac mouse might have something to do with it since the normal one does not have a middle mouse button nor a right click! Disable and try again. If it still does not work go through the firefox preference mask again - it is there somewhere! Unfortunately I cannot tell you where 'cos I have the most fantastic ever tab mix plus extension installed (hint hint hint!!!).
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X