This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu/Vista Dual Boot...Totally New to This and a Little Scared

I just bought a new laptop with Vista as its OS. Vista sucks. I am almost completely new to Linux and have never run it on my computer. I want a to do a dual boot so that I can run Linux most of the time but have Vista still available for certain apps every now and then. What do I need to do? What do I download? I have 160GB of Hard Drive and 2GB RAM, is that enough power to run the dual system?

Help! I am sick of Windows and Bill Gates and want something new. This is all new to me, don't leave me all alone

Re: Kubuntu/Vista Dual Boot...Totally New to This and a Little Scared

I bought a kubuntu disk, but I can't get it to work. It just has a link to kubuntu.org and offers downloads of a few freeware programs like firefox. I thought this would be easy; just pop in the disk, run the program, maybe partition a hard drive or something like that. Now the disk doesn't even work. *Frustrated face* I do not want to keep using Vista, but Linux does not seem very easy to use.

Comment

The first thing you need to do, is stop comparing how Windoze works to your expectations of how you believe Linux should work. Installing and running Linux does (in many instances) take a little planning and knowledge of the PC you want to install it on to. That said, a PC that has Windoze Vista already installed on it (came with the purchased PC) is a little 'harder.' By that, I mean that you have to prepare the HD that Vista is installed on so that it can accept another operating system - any other operating system. You can thank the boys in Redmond, WA for that!

Assuming you want to dual-boot: keep Vista and install Linux - then you will avoid a lot of frustration if you read this How to dual-boot Vista and Linux (with Vista installed first)
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I finally got it up and working. Now I am having trouble with the wireless. KNetworkManager is not working, and it is somehow interfering with the installation of a new wireless program that I am trying to replace it with. I tried removing KNetworkManager. My one buddy told me that I might need some sort of Ubuntu patch to fix this since my computer is so new? Any advice or links to good wireless programs?

You're right, I have been under the yolk of Bill Gates too long and I am going through withdrawal right now

Comment

Not (yet) knowing what wireless card/chip you have, KNetworkManager may not have been a problem. Before one goes and starts to remove packages, it's best to ask questions first.

Open a console and type:
          Code:
          lshw | more
          Use your spacebar to advance a screen at a time. When you come to the first occurrence of *-network copy this line and the next three and paste into your reply. Continue with spacebar until you come to the second occurrence of *-network and copy that line and the next three and past this into your reply also. Then, in the same console, type:
          Code:
          lspci | grep Ethernet
          Copy and paste the results as well.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Umm..I know this has nothing to do with the troubles you've been having with your
            wireless network, but this is a good thing to know though. If you want to have a dual
            boot PC (in your case, laptop), the use of a partition is not advisable. Because once
            your Windows acquired a boot damaging virus, you cannot use/open/boot up again
            your Linux (Kubuntu). So I advice you to Install your Kubuntu on a separate hard drive.
            hehe..

Comment

jesar_gacula, that's a good point. However, it is also a very low-probability event. If it does happen, he would simply use the Live Kubuntu CD to re-install GRUB to the MBR and point it at the Kubuntu partition, about a 3-minute job.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thank you very much Qqmike!

Comment

Working...
                X