This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

request for help with bash command

I'm giving up on the single huge page of bash documentation in the K-Menu help. It can't be searched. I don't see how anyone can use this pile of Greek. I'd go looking for a bash tutorial, but how do I know that the flavor of bash dealt with is what Kubuntu uses? This is simply all too geeky for an average user, and in all honesty I'm considerably more informed than said "average user". In fact, this command line thing isn't remotely usable by "average users" (which probably doesn't characterize many folks on these forums!).

My question: I need to give my user account write permission on a file system directory so I can update it from within an application program that I'm running within that account. I installed the files in the directory, but I appear not to have access to them directly. It appears that I need to use some sudo command to access the permissions. I wish there were an easy way to find out which one. I have yet to find it, if there is.

1. If this is a more accessible way to get into bash than what is provided by the K-Menu help system, what is it?

2. What is the bash command to give my user account write permission on a whole directory of files (they're just Ruby source files)?

Thanks in advance.

Re: request for help with bash command

An easy way to change/edit permissions in a gui fashion is:
    Alt+F type
    Code:
    kdesudo konqueror
    (or
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    if you are on a system older than gutsy) this will give you a konqueror in "root" mode. Now you can rightclick on the directory or file you want to edit and choose properties->permisions. edit as needed and close konqueror. You may have to restart for the changes to take effect but usually that is not necessary.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: request for help with bash command

OMG! This is exactly the ticket, I think. I didn't know this existed (well, that's hardly a surprise - as a newbie I don't know MOST things...)

Comment

Working...
      X