This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USB DSL Connection

I just remembered, when started in Windows the address is 172.16.1.34 and the other two computers are 172.16.1.33 and 32. The Gateway or the modem address is 172.16.0.1.

Comment

Late in the thread, but need to know: What release of Kubuntu are you using, and what brand/model of DSL modem do you have?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The Kubuntu is Gutsy, the modem is a 2Wire gateway, model 1000SW. I just brought up the broser and typed the address 172.16.0.1, the gateway home page address and it will not connect. I even changed the address for eth0 to 172.16.1.34 to no avail.

Comment

Yeah, that wasn't going to work. Okay, I've gone as far as I can on this. I don't have the relevent experience with connections via modem only. While I do also, have a DSL modem, it's connected to my router.

What you are most likely missing, is a driver for your DSL modem. I think you have reached a 'fork in the road' so-to-speak. If I were you, I'd go out and purchase an inexpensive Cable/DSL router (The one I was using up until last night, was a Linksys Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch, model BEFSR41). Linux simply 'works' with routers, and the router takes care of working with the modem. The BEFSR41 set me back less than $50.00 (in fact, the wireless router, also Linksys, I replaced it with yesterday, was also less than $50.00).

I'll drop out of this thread at this point. I know there are other members who are experienced with DSL modems and Linux, so keep monitoring this thread. All of the information you have gathered and posted here will be helpful.

Comment

Okay, one last post.

This Connecting to the Internet might provide you with some insight.

Comment

Working...
            X