This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which version???

This is my first post, so please be understanding.

I'm looking for the most stable version of Kbuntu that has the Amateur Radio programs on it.

I'm really new to Linux. I'm 61 with health and mental issues. I sometimes can't 'remember' things or express them in word or on paper. Part of this is due to having mini-strokes. But, I'm going to do the best I can for as long as I can.

My IWill K-266 Plus Athlon 1.2 gig/1gig of P-133 Dram and a 78 gig WIN hard drive, suddenly rebooted and now says to insert the CD (Win 2K Pro) or the boot disk. Now, there is a one second beep, then a one second pause, then another beep repeating it's self.

I'm going to get a tower case with a large power supply and try to re-mount the mother board, all the hardware and use a 37 gig hard drive for WIN 2K Pro, as I need it to run Ham Radio DeLuxe, a Win only program that controls my Icom 706 Mark II-G, all-band, all-mode amateur transceiver.

But, I do have a 15 gig hard drive that I would like to put the most stable version of Kbuntu on to run (not dual-booted) for my OTHER stuff.

Eventually, the hard drives will go on seperate machines and the Kbuntu computer (hopefully) will have a very LARGE (500 gig) hard drive installed so I can put, legally downloaded and paid for MP3 music and pictures from off the Web. I'd like to be able to take the pictures and music and make a changing screen-saver with it for my own, personal use. I had this on the WIN drive, until it crashed .

At present, I'm on my wife's Sony Vaio with XP Home on it. She's visiting relatives but should return by Wednesday. I'm not all that familiar with HOME, but I know she does have some sort of "burning software" for CD's and photo's.

Now, to the Question: Which version of Kbuntu would YOU recommend that I try to download and "burn"? Please post it here and I will check back. Any help or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully submitted,
    73 (Best Regard)

Don/KA5-LQJ

Grid Square: EM-32

Re: Which version

There isn't really an absolute answer to "which is most stable" -- different hardware combinations seem to produce different results with the same OS version. Your best bet is to make a Live CD, boot it, and play with it for awhile and see if it is happy with your hardware. I'd try 7.10 first, since it is the latest released version and probably supports the widest array of hardware.

You didn't say whether your future system will be a 64-bit or 32-bit -- Kubuntu supports both architectures. 32-bit runs on all Intel-CPU hardware. So, go to this site, pick your continent, then pick the Live CD ISO image of your choice and download it. When downloaded, open your CD burning software, insert a blank CD, choose "Burn ISO Image" or "Burn as ISO" (depends on your software) and set the speed to 4X and go ahead and burn it. Test your Live CD by shutting down and rebooting your system with the Live CD in it.

HTH

Comment

Re: Which version

Reading your plan, here is some advice. First, Gutsy Gibbon is what you want. It is the right mix of current/stable. Second, when you install, make sure that you create a separate /home partition. If you do move the HD just reinstall without formatting your /home partition. There was a post today about making a list of your installed programs that you can use to reinstall once you are on your new machine. I would have tapped this out in IMC for you, but I am afraid it would have taken an hour and been 50% mistakes. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X