This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

program launching - how to?

I'm still trying to figure this out. Frankly, it's mystifying. People are telling me I probably cannot execute anything NOT in the package database - but that can't be right. Aptana Studio, jEdit, and a number of other fine programs all offer Linux version downloads - it simply cannot be true that I can't run jEdit, for example. The two I mentioned are java programs, and I'm pursuing that angle - not questions yet, other than about the issue of a program's having to be in the package database to be runnable. Please tell me that's wrong!

Now, my question - a quickie, I hope:

I'm accustomed (on WinXP) to running 7Zip archiving program. I found a unix port in adept and installed it. Now what? I see no mention of it in the K-menu. I found it in \usr\bin, but clicking on it does nothing. Entering 7za in the command line bombs (can't find it). Katapult doesn't do any better (what IS that thing - Katapult - anyway - no documentation I've found sheds any light on that).

Is program launching one of the Greater Mysteries by design? I know I'm pretty stupid, coming from Windows, but I design websites and program in ruby - and I still feel somehow blindsided. (I know - tomorrow it'll be better!)

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I NEED 7zkp and jEdit, and a bunch of other stuff to get work done, asap.

Re: program launching - how to?

jEdit = http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download (Download a Debian package) (RIGHT click on the download and install)
    7Zip = Linux version available from repositories is called p7zip

Not all programs will install themselves into K-Menu - sometimes you need to put them there. RIGHT click on K-Menu and choose Menu Editor.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

You can run 7Zip 4 under wine by loading Wine-doors - but I am not sure about using that with Linux.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks, but with a Linux version residing in the packages database that does NOT look like the way to go, if at all possible. I'm going to hold out a bit longer for doing it the way it SHOULD be possible to do it: install and go. There ought to be a simple way to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
          jEdit = http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download (Download a Debian package) (RIGHT click on the download and install)
          Success! I can see now that I didn't read your post closely enough - "right click on the download...". That worked.

You have no idea how relieved I am to have my jEdit back. Can't live without it. Kate was a miserable experience compared to jEdit, although admittedly far superior to the default text editor on Windows (gaak!). So - many thanks.

From now on, I'm on a search for Debian packages, if what I'm after isn't in adept/synaptic.

Comment

Working...
          X