Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which forum to use? Adept Manager is no longer working correctly.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which forum to use? Adept Manager is no longer working correctly.

I'm sort of new to Linux.
    Installed it on my home computer for the first time just yesterday. I've installed Linux before on customer computers but I've never used it as intensively as I have in the past 24 hours. My first experience with Linux was through an ISP a long time ago when DOS was the dominant OS, and a telnet text mode shell was the only mode available for getting online. My ISP used Linux and I learned basic Linux commands to navigate my online experience; such as, listing the contents of and creating and deleting directories and files, installing programs, configuring .rc scripts for IRC sessions etc. That is all very basic stuff and I'm not sure how to trouble shoot things on an administrative level when it comes to a program causing problems.

Any way, my problem is with the Adept Manager consistently crashing. Should I post the problem here or, which forum would be most appropriate for this issue?

Re: Which forum to use? Adept Manager is no longer working correctly.

Sure, this is fine, and WELCOME!

A crashing Adept Manager is not a good thing. Can you give more details about any error output? There are a couple of phenomena that can happen, depending a lot on your particular hardware. On my rig, I tend to get the "endlessly bouncing icon" problem, which can be fixed with a minor edit in /etc/sudoers. Then there is sometimes some corruption in the actual Debian package manager, which is usually straightened out by issuing this command in a Konsole window:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    So give us a bit more about the problem, and hopefully it can be fixed.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.
      I'm still not sure if I've posted this request for help prematurely or not.

I think I might have inadvertently solved the problem by taking a wild stab in the dark.
      I typed the following command line:
      Code:
       sudo apt-get update
      It downloaded a bunch of files and then quit abruptly, complaining about something "dpk..." or something like that. The complaint suggested I type another command line, so I copied, pasted, and ran it. I really wish I had written it down but in that moment I didn't consider that I might need that information for this post.

Any way, It then reported that I had some files on my computer that were the same as some files from the owner or maintainer of the update files. I told it to go ahead and install the maintainer's files. It did. I then ran the code again.
      Code:
       sudo apt-get update
      ...and this time the updates installed without a hitch. I exited the terminal, and tried clicking on the Adept Manager icon again. This time it started up much faster, and it did so without crashing. So as a test I tried installing Gimp, and for the very first time ever, a program was installed by the Adept Manager without it crashing or quiting part way through.

However my system colors and themes are still not working on the updated version of the Adept Manager. Is this something that might be pointing to a larger problem with my installation? If this is a problem I will start a new thread so the title can accurately describe the issue.

Also, Is there a way to tell if my installation and upgrades were done correctly or to check the overall health of my installs or system? I'm still in the process of reading the beginner guides in various places, but if you have any suggestions on what else I might want to read that would be cool too.

Thanks again for your support and help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Comment

If you get no errors when installing an application via Adept Manager, then the install when okay. No need to worry.

The problem you experienced with Adept Manger "after installing *ubuntu" is, unfortunately, a common occurance, and one that isn't really well addressed to the user before installing. Oh well.

Can you elloborate on your issue with colors and themes??
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kubuntuforumsuser

Also, Is there a way to tell if my installation and upgrades were done correctly or to check the overall health of my installs or system? I'm still in the process of reading the beginner guides in various places, but if you have any suggestions on what else I might want to read that would be cool too.
          WRT installed packages and the Debian package manager, the following series of commands in the Konsole window will get everything up to date and verified:

Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install
          Code:
          sudo apt-get autoclean
          You can do that once a month, when the anxiety kicks in.

As far as sources of information in this forum, there's quite a lot of material covered here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=53.0

If you want a good book on the subject, I prefer Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas.

8)

Comment

Welcome! To answer your first question "Which forum to use?"... The ubuntu forums are quite helpful as well as here. For something that is KDE specific, this is the best place. For non-KDE specific help, you might find the ubuntu forurms are helpful as well. There are many more people over there to help making the response time much shorter.. most times.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I am surprised and pleasantly amazed by the level of support and knowledge I am receiving from this post. I was not expecting much of a response at all. Most of the tech support sites I used to use with WinXP took at least a few days if not an entire week to receive a response at all. Thank you!!!

dibl: YES, that's it! That was the command line the error message suggested I use:
              Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              sudo apt-get update
              The level of embedded error correction I've experienced with this problems was nothing short of being absolutely brilliant and amazing. Please pardon this injection of opinion, but after decades of Microsoft's restrictive policies and dysfunctional distributions its very difficult to contain myself and I can't even begin to explain how it feels to be able to accidentally guess a fix to what would have been a complete OS reinstall if it was an MS product. I'm simply speechless.

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way, I was completely unaware of the other two command lines. What do these two command lines do?
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install
              sudo apt-get autoclean
              Snowhog: I am electing to tentatively post a new thread regarding my themes and colors not having any effect on the way the Adept Manager looks. Its important for other to be able to find solutions to there problems so if there isn't a solution already posted I'll start a new thread for this issue. Thank you for being thorough and offering to help. I sincerely appreciate that.

...and thanks to all of you for the resources and pointers. I will need some time to follow up on everything I've learned from just one post in this forum tonight.

This community is an incredible and awesome resource. How did I ever take so long to switch over to Linux? Because I never had long enough access to a CD burner until yesterday.

Comment

However my system colors and themes are still not working on the updated version of the Adept Manager. Is this something that might be pointing to a larger problem with my installation? If this is a problem I will start a new thread so the title can accurately describe the issue.
                It's not a bug, it's a feature

When you run Adept you need to run it as root (which is why it needs a password). As root is a different user, Adept will use root's colours and themes and not yours.

Hope that clears things up!

Comment

What do these two command lines do?
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install
                  sudo apt-get autoclean
                  First, here's how you can answer all such questions about bash shell commands. Open a Konsole window and enter:

Code:
                  man apt-get
                  Code:
                  man dpkg
                  Code:
                  man mount
                  Code:
                  man fdisk
                  Code:
                  man whatevercommandyouarecuriousabout
                  Get it? There's a user manual built in to Linux, awaiting only the "man" command to show you everything.

So, reviewing the manual for "apt-get" you will find that the "install" option will install all packages identified as a result of issuing the "apt-get update" command, unless a particular package or packages are named.

and the "update" option:
                  is used to resynchronize the package index files from their
                  sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from the
                  location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. For example, when
                  using a Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the
                  Packages.gz files, so that information about new and updated
                  packages is available.

Comment

The color scheme you choose with KDE will not carry over to Adept unless you tell it to.

Here's how:

1. Alt-F2
                    2. Type 'kcontrol' and <Enter>
                    3. Go to 'Appearances & Themes' > 'Colors'
                    4. Check the box at the bottom "Apply colors to non-KDE applications"
                    5. Click 'Apply'
                    6. Close 'kcontrol'

You may have to restart your session for it to work.

Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X