This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen failure.

Gooday all. Well I don't know wtf happened here. Turned the computer on this morning and the page is quarter of the way off the screen to the right. I have recently got rid of windoze and am running a fully updated version of Kubuntu. Install went straight forward and yesterday all seemed to be good. I bought my self a new monitor for x-mas, it's a ASUSvw202t. I can't find the way to set the screen size to 1680x1050. That could be the problem, but it has been running ok for a week prior to the fresh install. I did install a driver update just before this happened, so that could be a part of it too. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Screen failure.

Oh dear. Searching round the forum for some insight I found a post where it was suggested to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" in a bid to sort this screen thingy out. Did that, restarted and now all I have is a command line screen. (i think that is what you would call it. Any how , how the hell do I get back to the Kubuntu screen?

Comment

Edit: Simply try typing startx and see if you get your desktop. If not, then rerun sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and don't have it detect the video. Instead, choose Vesa. This will get you a functioning video display. You can then try and figure out what happened.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your time again mate. Startx gets me "fatal server error, no screens found" Tried the reconfigure and get screen telling me that it is not on the machine. And kdesu cannot access the xserver.

Comment

Working...
        X