This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDs with CD extra stuff not allowing me to see the audio

More noob questions from me today. Today I decided that it was time to start re-ripping my entire CD collection into ogg. When I put in several of my CDs that have those CD extras that's that partition of the disc that mounts, what I want to happen is I want to part with the audio to mount so I can rip them. If anyone could tell me how to fix this, that'd be huge.

-Tom

Re: CDs with CD extra stuff not allowing me to see the audio

Check out kaudiocreator, it allows you to decide what you want to rip, how you want to encode the files (ogg, flac, etc.), and automatically configures the metadata for the songs you rip, saving you all the extra time and effort entering it manually.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Before you get too far, check out grip. Having tried most, this is the most advanced, most configurable of the rippers. If you were using EAC or similar on Windows, I doubt you will be satisfied with anything but grip.

Comment

Huh, I've never heard of grip; I just checked its description in aptitude, and it looks pretty cool. Can it rip to any formats other than mp3 or ogg?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Slightly 'dated', but this HOWTO: Convert audio CDs with Grip and understand what you are doing over on the Ubuntu Forum may be helpful.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
            Can it rip to any formats other than mp3 or ogg?
            FLAC at least. Check this out as well:

http://nostatic.org/grip/

Not dissing anyone else favorite ripper.

Comment

Cool! I'll read up on it and consider my options. Thanks
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

This is all good advice, but it doesn't solve my problem. I'm having success ripping the CDs that I can actually play, what I'm having a problem with is that any CDs with CD extras only mount the CD extras partition. So what mounts is a CD with some windoze exe files and some behind the scenes movies or whatever. I need to find a way to access the music portion of the disc.

-Tom

Comment

Sorry CMT. Put in a disk. If it autoruns something, close that window. Find the CD icon. It should be on your desktop. Right click on it. Select Properties. On the General tab to the right of the Type: line there is a button with a little wrench on it. Click that. At the bottom of the window that comes up there is a window that says Application preference order. If Konqueror is on the list, select it and move it to the top. Click OK and OK and then eject and reinsert the CD and tell us what happens. I think that part of the problem is that we don't understand what you are telling us. You say mounting and I don't think that is what's happening. I think that you mean that rather than autoplaying the audio on the CD, it autoruns some executable content or autoplays the video. We can probably help you unwind that. Stick with us.

Comment

This is caused due to the disc being set up as "mixed-mode", cdda and data together. When the disk is inserted it auto-mounts the data partition.

I believe I got this working before by unmounting the CD and then opening the ripper software and running it as normal.

EDIT = I just retried this method and it worked. But beware that SoundKonverter wanted to rip the data track as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiq
                      This is caused due to the disc being set up as "mixed-mode", cdda and data together. When the disk is inserted it auto-mounts the data partition.

I believe I got this working before by unmounting the CD and then opening the ripper software and running it as normal.

EDIT = I just retried this method and it worked. But beware that SoundKonverter wanted to rip the data track as well.
                      This worked! Is there any way to get it to just ignore the data partition so I can play the audio without first ripping it? Just in case I'm borrowing a CD from a friend and just want to listen to it? Thanks.

-Tom

Comment

That is what I was trying to tell you. Did you try those instructions?

Comment

Konqueror is on the top of the application preference list. It's not trying to auto run something, and you're right, it's not actually mounted. I'm from the Mac world mostly and am used to things being mounted when they're on the desktop. When I open it by double clicking on the desktop icon, it mounts and then shows only the data portion and not the music portion. What I've found is that unmounted I can play it in KsCD which does mostly solve my problem since I can now rip and play these discs. I just wish there was either a way to mount both partitions or so that I could select which mounts. That way I can use the cool features of allowing me to rip a track simply by dragging a track out of that ogg folder that they make. I appreciate all the help from you guys and I know I'm just getting picky now, but I was hoping that I can get exactly what I want, which is the main reason I'm here in Linux with KDE is that I seem to be able to do whatever I want with nearly unlimited customization.

-Tom

Comment

You should be able to do it. I need to find that type of CD in my collection and fool with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X