This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed kdm...help!

Been using Kubuntu (in one form or other) for last six or seven months on a secendoary partition on my HP laptop. I love it.

I love it so much, I decided to upgrade to Gutsy and that went great. Then I decided instead of messing around with the headache of getting Beryl or Compiz Fusion to work, I'd give KDE 4 a try. Checked around the forums and found a couple procedured for instalation of KDE4 RC2. I follwed them step by step. On reboot...nothing. I can get command line only.

What I'm looking for is either detailed step-by-step commands for removing all vestiges of KDE4 and returning to KDE3.5 or someway to try to get KDE4 working.

I'll take anyhing! I don't want to use this bloated snail of an OS for too long.

Re: I killed kdm...help!

Have you tried to boot recovery mode, then (as Super User)
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/kdm start
    I'm not sure what the name of the kde4 package/metapackage is, but what you want to do is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove kde4whatever
    I'll leave the ID of the package name to the student.

Of course, if kde4 includes its own K Display Manager (kdm), then probably you'll still be at a CLI until you can
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    HTH.

Comment

I tried the above, and dug myself in deeper. I figured I would. Just not good enough with what packages do what and how to get them all to work. Didn't know what I needed to purge out, so I thought of going all out then trying to go through and reinstalling fresh packages.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get --purge remove kde4*
      It worked as expected...I now have nothing on my install that has anything to do with kde. It would be fine, except that I don't know what packages to reinstall to get KDE and all associated packages I'll need. Still trying to learn all of this stuff!

In any event, to avoid wasting all your time with a bumbling newbie I'm going to do what I know...I'm starting fresh. I'm getting a clean install .torrent of 7.10 and not messing around with KDE4 until I get a bit better at playing around with the backend and what does what.

Since I've broken things a few times, at least I've managed to master getting my ati graphics card and my wireless working!

I need to get book on this stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing

Since I've broken things a few times, at least I've managed to master getting my ati graphics card and my wireless working!

See what practice can do for you?

I'm running Gutsy, but I haven't tried KDE4 yet -- I'm kinda scared of it, based on the advance reports from the pioneers .... :P

Comment

Working...
        X