This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network manager will not recognize dsl modem

A few weeks ago my neighborhood finally got DSL service through at&t. What is weird is if I run the Gusty live cd my modem will be recognized and I can surf the net no problem with Konquerer. However, when I boot into my hard disk the modem is not recognized at all. In fact, even the option "wired connections" does not show up. I've tried manual configuration, automatic, I even attempted to copy everything I saw from the live cd into the configuration. Nothing seems to work.
    I have a feeling this is something simple I'm missing. By the way The router is a 2wire if that matters.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: network manager will not recognize dsl modem

Check the obvious first.

K Menu | System Settings | Network Settings
    Click on the Administrator button. Enter your password.
    Click on the appropriate network interface (probably eth0) and ensure that it is enabled.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply Snowhog. Yes it is checked and says it is enabled.

Comment

This doesn't answer the question of "why" but it is a solution that 'just works.'

Consider purchasing a router (I'm using a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Routher with 4-Port Switch). Routers 'work' with Linux. Your DSL modem plugs into the router. What *ubuntu sees is the router, not your modem. The router takes care of the communication to the modem.

Comment

Thanks again Snowhog.

The installation guide says it is a wireless router with modem. Are you suggesting another router in addition?

Thanks

Comment

No. Didn't know you were connected to a router. That said, let's clarify: you have a wireless router, but is your PC connected to it 'by a cable'? (Reread you initial post. Should have paid more attention, as you did state that you had a router.)

Comment

Yes, thank you, I am connected with an ethernet cable (cat5 I believe).

Comment

So you are have a DSL modem and a router, yes? The modem was provided to you by AT&T with your Internet account? That you had Internet access when running the LiveCD but not after installation is 'weird'. I would, if I were you, contact AT&T Internet support and see if they can walk you through this. Sometimes it is the modem. My ISP's Interenet Support (as should most ISPs) be able to 'check you connection status' while you are talking to them and make recommendations. I've made such calls numerous times.

Comment

Happy to report that after some searching I found and tried in a terminal " sudo aptitude reinstall knetworkmanager network-manager". And it worked my DSL modem is now recognized. Thanks again Snowhog for your replies.

Comment

Well it looks as though I spoke too soon. I had aol through penggy up and running when I ran the above command. Now it's really weird, my dsl will only run when aol is running on another phone line. I had a second phone line installed so that I could be online and someone else could be on the phone. I can run the above command without penggy being active but the configuring gear will run indefinitely. Further if I press wired network it will start to install and then freeze at 85%.
                    It's really strange?!

Comment

Can someone please help me too? I have dual-booted Xp and Kubuntu and I would like to know how to set up my internet! I had to set up in Xp too! It is a broadband connection, it has a modem ( Webstar ) and it always dialss-up in windows but I dk how to do that in kubuntu...thanks in advance!

Comment

Unfortunately, the only thing I could think of doing was to reinstall. Which went rather quicky with DSL. I think my problem somehow started with having dial-up then adding DSL. After reinstalling the modem was reconized imediately. I would also suggest not to touch the manual configuration in knetworkmanager unless you really know what you are doing as there are many posts here at this form which describe dozens of problems with this.

Comment

Working...
                        X