X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial Wireless setup for newbie

Hi Guys.
    Before you say it, yes, I have done a search, and read the How to, but something more basic than what I have read required.

I have given a machine to a mate, with Feisty on it. He has wireless network at home that he can log onto....his neighbours......who is OK with this...

This machine has been running at the local aero club bar connected to a wired network, for use as a general e-mail/internet access point for anyone to use. It performed great, no problems for 6 months.

I now need to put a wireless card in it. The card I have is a Sitecom card WL-115 54mbps PCI card. I also have one other , but not to hand at the moment.

So what is the very first step? download and install some app or other or physically install the card and see what is detected?

Is a live wired internet connection going to be required to complete the setup? or will the required stuff already be on the machine? If I know this, i can decide wether to bring the machine home to do the install, or do it at his with no internet till the wireless is working.

Cheers

Neil

Edit....probably should say the initial install of Kubuntu on the machine was via a Live CD, not the DVD, and all the updates installed as the system has asked for them.

Re: Initial Wireless setup for newbie

Did you try this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=rt2500

Comment

No, tried nothing yet, have not even got the machine in my possession again yet. Looking for a bit more basic info yet.

Have seen lots of threads like that, but all a bit daunting for a total newbie to all this command line stuff. Yes have done a bit with Konsole and CP/M in the past, but wanted a bit of background "how to" type stuff.

That thread is like a lot of others, it just seem to lead to yet other thread, and you end up following them , which leads you to other threads....and other threads...and you end up getting now where fast.

Was hoping to do the job at the chaps house, but no internet there till the wireless is running.

So will I need internet access to complete the setup? or is tyhere enough installed in a basic Live CD install to run a wireless card?

Comment

I am not sure you are going to find anything more basic. Suggest you look through it or get started and ask questions as you need to. It looks like you will need Internet access to download the driver at least. I believe that build-essential is on the standard CD/

Comment

The answer you have given is the sort of thing I was looking for, I will need to have access to the net to do the install. This is what I wanted to know.

....I would have rather heard, the Windows style answer................."Go to website X....download driver Y and your hardware is likely to work with that driver...or it is already built in to windows.

So at least now I know. I will ave to collect the machine and bring the job home to do it.

Thanks for your help

Neil

Comment

Working...
          X