This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with WIFI total nob

Installed Kubuntu yesterday morning and everything went well except my built in WIFI. This is on a Acer Aspire 5002WlMi, i installed the amd 64bit verion (kernel 2.6.12-10-amd64-k8). I'm using this guidehttp://www.aspirelinux.prv.pl/ and it worked for installing my driver with ndiswrapper as it indicates driver present hardware present. But also lists below that inffile invalid driver, which i thought was because the acer_acpi was not installed. So i proceded to the install and everything went well until i used the modprobe command and it comes up with this.
    FATAL: Error inserting acer_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-k8/extra/acer_acpi.ko): No such device
    So i've been stuck here all day trying to figure out whats wrong and i've come up empty. Can anyone walk me through this as i know nothing of Linux, only been using it for 2 days. Thanks for ny help.

Clinton

Re: Please help with WIFI total nob

Anyone have any suggestions? It seems to be a problem with the last step, installing the acer_acpi module. It just doesn't want to install it and i get this.
    clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$ sudo make install
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra
    cp -v acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/
    `acer_acpi.ko' -> `/lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/acer_acpi.ko'
    depmod -a
    clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$ modprobe acer_acpi
    FATAL: Error inserting acer_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/acer_acpi.ko): Operation not permitted
    clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$

I'm fallowing the how to on this page but no matter what i try it just will not install the module. Any help at all? Please.
    //www.archernar.co.uk/acer_acpi/acer_acpi_main.html

Clinton

Comment

Nobody? Boy the support. Glad i'm trying to learn this distro , is Ubuntu supported better? I only ask because to start i'm going to need some help, coming right from Windows so it's a steep learning curve.

Clinton

Comment

try:

Code:
        sudo modprobe acer_acpi
        what happens?

please post some more info like the output of the following commands:

Code:
        lsmod |grep acer

lsmod |grep acpi

dmesg |grep -i acer
        ?

Originally posted by ClintonH
        Anyone have any suggestions? It seems to be a problem with the last step, installing the acer_acpi module. It just doesn't want to install it and i get this.
        clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$ sudo make install
        mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra
        cp -v acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/
        `acer_acpi.ko' -> `/lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/acer_acpi.ko'
        depmod -a
        clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$ modprobe acer_acpi
        FATAL: Error inserting acer_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.12-custom/extra/acer_acpi.ko): Operation not permitted
        clinton@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3$

I'm fallowing the how to on this page but no matter what i try it just will not install the module. Any help at all? Please.
        //www.archernar.co.uk/acer_acpi/acer_acpi_main.html

Clinton

Comment

Thank you for the reply, here's what i get with the commands.

clinton@Burner:~$ sudo -s
          root@Burner:~# cd acer_acpi-0.3
          root@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3# sudo make; make install
          make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
          mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-k8/extra
          cp -v acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-k8/extra/
          `acer_acpi.ko' -> `/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-k8/extra/acer_acpi.ko'
          depmod -a
          root@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3# modprobe acer_acpi
          FATAL: Error inserting acer_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-k8/extra/acer_acpi.ko): Invalid module format
          root@Burner:~/acer_acpi-0.3#

clinton@Burner:~$ lsmod |grep acer
          clinton@Burner:~$ lsmod |grep acpi
          sony_acpi 6104 0
          pcc_acpi 13568 0
          dev_acpi 14788 0
          i2c_acpi_ec 6400 0
          i2c_core 24152 1 i2c_acpi_ec
          clinton@Burner:~$ dmesg |grep -i acer
          [ 1170.062917] acer_acpi: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
          clinton@Burner:~$

But on a positive note i did manage to get linux to see the wlan0 connection. If i un modprobe ndiswrapper it will see the connection but wont enable it. I think the acer_acpi has to turn the card on before the system will use it to connect.The "interface wlan0 - KWiFiManager" shows the card and scans for the network, shows 100% signal but no connection. I really think this is a problem with the acer_acpi install, the first part of these instructions are what i think are my problem.

You will need a C compiler, some basic development utilities (GNU make, install), and the kernel headers installed.
          If you don't know whether you have these, or how to install them, I'd suggest searching the discussion forums for your Linux distribution. I'm afraid I cannot give you any assistance with installation!

Thanks for any help.

Clinton

Comment

Got it, finally. Have no idea how but i'm using it as i type.

Clinton

Comment

Working...
            X