This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Useful Tips for newbies go here

Very helpful "first thing to do after installing" guidance -- follow this and 95% of audio/video issues will be solved before they happen:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

Some useful odds & ends I picked up:

Adept database locked:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      -------------------------
      Re: disabling system beep?
      add this line :
      blacklist pcspkr
      to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
      ---------------------------
      Setting default ALSA output device:
      asoundconf list
      asoundconf set-default-device [device_name_from_listing]
      ---------------------------
      Fixing broken FF look in KDE4
      Install "Firefox 3 +Kde4" theme
      and
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873486
      --------------------------
      Installing java if other install options fail:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
      sudo update-alternatives --config java
      -------------------------
      Fixing black flashing line across screen when using radeonhd:
      -->Disable services :"Detecting RANDR (monitor) changes"

Comment

Download the Linux Starter Pack

(OK it's mostly about Ubuntu)

"New to the wonderful world of Linux? Looking for an easy way to get started? Download our complete 130-page guide and get to grips with the OS in hours rather than weeks or months. We show you how to install Linux onto your PC, navigate around the desktop, master the most popular Linux programs and fix any problems that may arise.

We put the Linux Starter Pack on sale one year ago, and in our quest to support the community we're giving it away as a free download. Please go ahead and tell everyone about this offer -- all we ask is that you link to this page rather than directly to the zip below."

http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

The command-line phrasebook

"New users are often scared off the command line by its combination of fussy syntax and the need to type accurately. There's also an uncomfortable air of geekiness associated with working in a terminal that worries some folk. Despite this, many command-line phobes wish that they could do more with it, in much the same way as many British people would genuinely like to speak another language, if it wasn't just too darned hard.

When we go to a foreign country, we can fall back on the tried, tested and rather embarrassing technique of speaking slowly and loudly and hoping that someone speaks English, or we can look up some key phrases in a book to get by. It's not the same as learning the lingo, but it does mean that you can make your way between the beach, the bar and the restaurant in times of need.

You can take a similar approach to the command line. There are times when it's advantageous to ditch the graphical interface and get your hands dirty, but you don't have to be a certified technical guru in order to do so. Some key commands and variations on them can get you by, just as you can get by overseas with just a few key phrases."

at http://www.tuxradar.com/content/command-line-phrasebook
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I recently finished a re-write of this:
            Commands at Konsole: Beginners
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091607.0
            In 3 parts, new/improved, complete basic tutorial.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

KubuntuGuide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntuguide

for newbies and power users alike.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
              and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
                Kubuntu guide:

kubuntuguide.org (http://kubuntuguide.org)

Doesn't look too bad but this annoys me on all the messengers:
                "It is not necessary if you use Kopete. Install it: "

That should be changed to something else. I dislike Kopete and i am sure others do too, maybe it should be "An alternative to Kopete for <messenger service>" would read a lot better.

Comment

Here's a really good guide to configuring Atheros WiFi cards. I have a Samsung NC20 with an Atheros and had two problems when installing Jaunty - configuring the OpenChrome display driver and the Atheros wireless. However, here's a link to a great guide to configuring MadWifi drivers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=kubuntu

I've made it highlight the specific Kubuntu posts. Good luck!

Comment

Been a kubuntu and linux user for some time now, but found this post helpfull. Thanks

Comment

Read dibl's Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers. The answers are based on real world knowledge by users with years of experience. They have helped me, and will likely help you.

Read the documentation you've already been given. The answers to most questions and and problems you will likely encounter are contained therein.

If you are having trouble with a fresh install of Kubuntu, then please verify the Kubuntu ISO you burned the install disc from. You should also use the install disc's built in integrity check to verify the burned disc, or try GreyGeek's advice to md5sum check the burned cd. Many problems with fresh installs are caused by corrupted ISO downloads and bad burns.

If you already have experience with virtual machines or emulators, try installing Kubuntu on VirtualPC, VMWare, or VirtualBox before you install it on your physical computer. This is how I and many other users took our first steps with Linux. It is a very safe way to learn and experiment without risking anything.

Search the forum for topics that interest you. Any problem or question you encounter has likely already been confronted by other users. Exploit their experience for your own benefit.

If you decide to post about your question or problem, please remember the forum guidelines and Code of Conduct. They exist for the benefit of all forum members, including you.

Before you post, please learn how to get answers. We know you are impatient to solve your problem, and we would really like to help, but poorly structured questions lacking full information make it really hard for everyone involved. It is okay if your writing is not perfect, but please try to describe the problem as clearly as possible and tell us as much as you can so we have a better chance to help you. If you know the config or log file of the program involved, then please do post relevant excerpts.

When you eventually find a solution to your problem, please post back here with it and mark your thread solved. Sharing knowledge is what this community is all about, and your contribution is just as valuable as every other user's. Our community can only grow and prosper through the shared knowledge and experience of its members, so help us improve.

Don't be afraid of the Konsole command line. Many of us here are self-professed geeks, and we love our command line. Don't be surprised if the response to your help request is to perform some commands in Konsole and post back the results. It is very likely the most efficient way possible for us to troubleshoot or fix your problem.

Spend some time in Konsole learning to do simple tasks. Read the man pages and info files. Start working through Qqmike's Commands at Konsole tutorial. You won't understand everything right away, but every little bit you learn for yourself will make solving your own problems much easier in the future.

Those are the big ones I can think of right now. Sorry if some are dupes but I think good advice bears repeating anyway

Edit: More useful tips for newbies.

Please be polite and respectful in your help request. You are much less likely to receive any helpful responses if your help request is laced with inflammatory language defaming Kubuntu and the community. No one in this forum is paid to help you; we are all volunteers. Even the most patient of us are unwilling to help ungrateful people who hurl insults and refuse to do anything to help themselves.

Read the rest of the tips in this thread for more newbie helping goodness.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by scept1c
                        thanks! though I can't open the 2nd and the 3rd links - neither from work, nor at home
                        You have to click them with your mouse.

You did not say which post contained the links you had trouble with. I just checked every link in my own post and they all work perfectly in both Firefox and Konqueror. The problem must be at your end.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe
                          Originally posted by perspectoff
                          Kubuntu guide:

kubuntuguide.org (http://kubuntuguide.org)

Doesn't look too bad but this annoys me on all the messengers:
                          "It is not necessary if you use Kopete. Install it: "

That should be changed to something else. I dislike Kopete and i am sure others do too, maybe it should be "An alternative to Kopete for <messenger service>" would read a lot better.
                          I took your suggestion and changed it. Thanks!

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Some things that have helped me (relatively new Kubuntu user):

1. Connect to hidden SSID's with wireless:

Add a new network to your wireless configuration with the correct settings for the hidden SSID. Open terminal, type "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid HIDDEN_SSID" where HIDDEN_SSID is the SSID of the router you want to connect to.

2. Realize that your WEP password for wireless internet is probably a "key" and not a "passphrase." Banged my head on the wall with this for a while, since I thought it related to the fact that it was hidden.

3. Get OpenOffice.org 3.2

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/71...32-rc2-is-out-

4. Fix blurry fonts in openoffice.org.

In OpenOffice.org go to Tools... Options. Click view under OpenOffice.org on the left. Uncheck font antialiasing.

5. Edit your fonts configuration file to make them look "nicer" (yeah, its subjective):

http://bigbrovar.aoizora.org/index.p...ubuntu-karmic/

6. Integrate Firefox more with Kubuntu with these extensions

Plasma Notify https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12196
                            Oxygen KDE https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59338
                            KDE Wallet Integration https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/49357

Comment

Tip: You do not need to type commands into the Terminal.

Highlight the command written on the web page. Move your cursor anywhere in the Terminal and either press CTRL+SHIFT+V together or press your mouse wheel or mouse middle button. Automatic Copy and paste! No spelling mistakes! No Typos! No other errors!

Comment

Getting Started With Ubuntu

Getting Started With Ubuntu

Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04 is a comprehensive beginners guide for the Ubuntu operating system. It is written under an open source license and is free for you to download, read, modify and share.

The manual will help you become familiar with everyday tasks such as surfing the web, listening to music and scanning documents. With an emphasis on easy to follow instructions, it is suitable for all levels of experience.
                                Note: This appears to be primarily about Ubuntu, but may still be relevant to many users here.
                                Welcome newbies!
                                Verify the ISO
                                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                                X