X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 won't shut down

Originally posted by teemac

When selecting shutdown or restart, the system gets to the last Kubuntu splash screen and cycles between the splash screen and a blank screen. The only way to turn off the machine is hold in the power button.

ALTERATION 2:

Root mode konqueror again

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Add this following line to the end of the first Kernel line:

apm=power-off

(add a space before the addition)

(For some reason it took a couple of reboots for these to stick - but works perfectly now)
    What should the line look like? I'm having a similar problem.

Comment

Re: Useful Tips for newbies go here

Go to the end of the file, after
      ## ## End Default Options ##
      Adjust the kernel line in the first stanza.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Go to the end of the file, after
        Adjust the kernel line in the first stanza.
        So it should look like this?
        ## ## End Default Options ## apm=power-off
        Sorry if that's wrong. I'm just very new with this stuff. Not very familiar with the terms yet either.

Comment

No worries - my/our fault for not making it clear enough - this is, after all, Help the New Guy

Anyway, you don't put it there. Instead look below:

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
          uuid 7d42dd12-25b4-47fb-9a3f-0e9a1f672897
          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=98675052-c017-409d-aafb-65b54c3afa70 ro quiet splash
          initrd /initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
          quiet
          You've got the End Default Options line followed by the first stanza - this being a copy of my machine which is for 8.10. Yours will look slightly different if you are on 8.04 - UUIDs are always different anyway. You are interested in the line beginning with the word "kernel" as in
          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=98675052-c017-409d-aafb-65b54c3afa70 ro quiet splash
          Now just add apm=power-off to the end of it, save. It will not take effect until you have rebooted, so it won't work (unless I am mistaken) on initial shutdown.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
            No worries - my/our fault for not making it clear enough - this is, after all, Help the New Guy

Anyway, you don't put it there. Instead look below:

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
            uuid 7d42dd12-25b4-47fb-9a3f-0e9a1f672897
            initrd /initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
            quiet
            You've got the End Default Options line followed by the first stanza - this being a copy of my machine which is for 8.10. Yours will look slightly different if you are on 8.04 - UUIDs are always different anyway. You are interested in the line beginning with the word "kernel" as in
            Now just add apm=power-off to the end of it, save. It will not take effect until you have rebooted, so it won't work (unless I am mistaken) on initial shutdown.
            Thanks, that makes sense but the file won't let me save. Do I need to change the permissions of the boot folder, grub folder of menu.lst file? And how would I change it (and to what)?

I'm actually running Kubuntu 8.10 so my version is the same as yours

Thanks for helping the new guy

Comment

Ah, no. Do not touch the permissions. If you do, go to jail.

Instead open a shell/CLI/command line and type

Code:
              sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
              Now edit to your heart's content and save the file. Bingo.

Comment

If you don't have the "nano" package already, you might need to install it first:

Code:
                sudo apt-get install nano

Comment

I think nano is part and package of every Kubuntu there is. A full vim, however, is sadly lacking

Comment

Thanks for the help. Nano was already installed so I was able to edit the file. However, that didn't fix the problem. My notebook still doesn't automatically power down (rebooted and shut down, turn back on 2 times already) and no luck...

Comment

Don't shoot the messenger

Perhaps you want to open a new thread or even better google for your notebook and ubuntu first.

Comment

I thought this was a really nifty feature.

Take your mouse and put it as far up and to the left as possible. Stick it up in your upper left hand corner and if you have multiple windows open, it'll show all of them. Click on one and it will come into focus. It will include windows from other desktops as well so it's a nice method to switch when you have a lot of windows open.

Comment

All my tips are here:

Kubuntu Guide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntuguide

I now run 5 Kubuntu Hardy machines and 7 Intrepid machines (4 of them laptops).

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

In praise of Foxmarks

I think that Foxmarks is the best and most helpful Firefox add-on new users can have.

1) You can bork Firefox... but you can recover your bookmarks...
                            2) You can bork your system and have to reinstall... and you can recover your bookmarks...
                            3) You have more than one computer - Linux, Mac, Windows and you can have the same bookmarks on every one...

...Synchronize your bookmarks to a server somewhere out there in cyberspace... try Foxmarks

*** IT'S NOW CALLED XMARKS ***
                            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

really a nice post. thanks mate

Comment

good posts, I'm Kidan andI'm a new member.
                                I can't find any place to introduce myself, so I did it here.

Comment

Working...
                                X