This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 year old Newb with a WINE question.

My harddrive died on my Windows PC.  So after years of swearing at the accursed Microsoft I am converting over to Linux utilizing the Kubuntu GUI.  So far so good, the interface is up and running and I only have a couple of issues.

1)  I used the apt-get to obtain wine.  Now where the heck is it and how do I use it to install my Warcraft III games and then run the games.

2)  My printer does not work.  I went through the K interface found the printer and got to the test button.  Hit said button and nothing.  Any advice on moving forward.  The printer is a Minolta Magicolor 2300 dl.

3)  Anybody have any experience with Shutterfly and getting it installed.  My wife is about to strangle me as she hasn't been able to upload the pictures this weekend and Lord knows we need those pictures to scrapbook next weekend.

Other than that you guys are awesome with the forum and I have been able to get everything that I need from your previous answers.  Thanks for tolerating us Newbs.

Re: 32 year old Newb with a WINE question.

a) Ready to tackle WINE : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=115546

b) Wine + Warcraft (http://appdb.winehq.org/)
    Category: Main > Games > Strategy Games > Warcraft III ->
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=897

c) More: Google wine+warcraft ...

KDE > System Settings > Printers (Are settings OK)

Use Administrator Mode and check Allowed Users. I did'n have rights to print .
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Just a note, Wine is not good to use for games..., it is very slow and glitchy, if you want to play commercial games in linux you should check out "Cedega", you have to pay to get it but, its worth it if you want to play games, plus its cheap. Otherwise you could go for the most expensive programs to run your windows apps, like WinforLin or Crossover Office. They are software desined to run like a windows emulator in linux. as for your printers, he was righ above, check your setting to make sure you have privleges to print, which if you are the sole user, you should, but not only that make shure you choose the right driver under
      KDE-System Settings-Printers-add printer, if its usb, should really not be a problem, if your driver is not listed do a google search for the model number+Linux Driver Install and see what you get, and your last program, once again if there is no compatible linux install for your pics, try to find an alternate program, linux should see your camera the same way it will see your printer, KDE-System Settings-Digital Camera-Add Camera-choose your camera driver. Then use a program like The Gimp to view and edit your pics. otherwise install the program she like using wine and when you want to run it open your console(terminal) and type "wine Name of program". Hope any of this clears it up.
      &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

Thank you for all the help. I have researched wine and warcraft and at this time do not think that my abilities are sufficient to install and run this combination. So I signed up for cedega. Now the big question. How the heck to install it. I am going to look around the forum to see if there are any tutorials already out there. If you know of one please post for me.

Thanks

Comment

to install cedega you need to download the "point to play" .deb package from transgaming, once you get point to play installed which is the cedega interface in point to play you will then download and install the latest cedega compatibility layer into point to play, thats when you can start installing games.

you can find there forums here,

http://transgaming.org/forum/

hope this helps.

Comment

Changing Gears to Video Driver.

Again thank you thank you thank you. I have it up and running WCIII. Now I have to figure out how to install WCIII Frozen Throne.

The last item that I have is can you tell me how to upgrade my video driver. My driver is integrated on my HP board. With the other system I had figured out how to download the intel searcher and find my driver. With my new system I can't do that so how do you know what video chipset you have. Then how do you install the driver? Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

First gald you got your game up and running, next just keep checking the forums at transgaming on how to install games, as well for your video driver you should post that question in the hardware section of the forums, more people that surf with knowledge of hardware issues will post there and know more about it.

Comment

Working...
              X