X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help a newb...

Well, i have two issues with kubuntu 7.10

First one is with my soundcard, lexicon lambda, which is external, connected via usb and has multiple inputs.

And i cant get usb adsl modem to work. Its based on conexant accessrunner chipset as far as i know...

Any ideas?

Thnx in advance

Re: Help a newb...

Disclaimer: I have never used a Conexant accessrunner USB ADSL modem.

Google + "Conexant accessrunner" => top link is http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/"]Conexant AccessRunner ADSL USB modems with Linux[/url]

However... it might be quite difficult since it involves compiling your own kernel... the "heart" of the Linux OS (technically the GNU/Linux OS) is the kernel and compiling your own, while really not that scary, is still not the most easy thing to do.

Searching for "Conexant Accessrunner Ubuntu" yields http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145138. I can't try it to see if it works but have a read, try it out and post back here with any problems.

Remember, Google is your friend

Comment

You don't want to try to compile your own kernel.

Paste the results of the following:
      In a terminal window( kmenu-system - konsole)

Code:
      lsusb

Comment

Originally posted by opie
        You don't want to try to compile your own kernel.

Paste the results of the following:
        In a terminal window( kmenu-system - konsole)

Code:
        lsusb
        Well, here it is. Since net and soundcard did not work, i reinstalled m$, so i ran kubuntu live and did this. Hope this help

Code:
        ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
        Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1210:0009
        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a81:0203 Chesen Electronics Corp. Mouse
        Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0572:cb00 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. E-Tech ADSL Modem v2
        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Comment

USB modems are an enormous pita.

Ok I have looked into this and the link James gave is a pretty good one. The question is, how much trouble are you wanting to go into on this? If you could get the modem working, but not the sound, do you intend to forget about kubuntu anyway? If so I'm not sure it is worth the work.

The modem issue is involved because you need an extraction tool to get the firmware code from the windows drivers(for legal reasons).

You can get the extraction tool precompiled from the link james gave, if you want to trust the source of the file(a user who compiled it himself). The alternative is to download the source code from the cvs and compile it yourself. This would require installing additional software so you can compile source code. You would then need to use this extraction tool on the CnxEtU.sys file that is part of your windows driver.

For additional information see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Us...m/AccessRunner

and

http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/firmware.shtml

If you think you want to go through this I will try to guide you with more specific instructions. Of course I can't promise you that things will work after this, only that I will help you through the process.

Comment

Well, tough decision, but i think i would trouble myself with this. Yeah, i would like to get modem working, then i can get to try with the soundcard. Being a hobbyist musician, and having a computer without sound is really, well, deppresive

I looked at the link james left, but could not download cabextract for win, so i downloaded one for dos, and will try to extract firmware from it.

The greatest problem would be that if i want to install Kubuntu i need to overwrite my win instalation, and there goes my net connecton for asking for help

So, basically i think i need to prepare all things i need before instalation.

Comment

Originally posted by krastavac
              The greatest problem would be that if i want to install Kubuntu i need to overwrite my win instalation, and there goes my net connecton for asking for help
              Not at all! You can setup your HD for dual-booting of both OS's - Windoze and Linux. If you don't know how to do that, just ask. There are plenty of very good HOWTOs on doing this.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I suppose i can dual boot, then when modem gets working, destroy m$ and merge its partition into one larger /home?

Comment

Certainly you want to dual boot at this point until you are sure you can accomplish everything you want to with linux. You can make the notes you need while online under windows and save them in text files on your windows partition. Then you can access them when you are running linux since linux can access windows partitions.
                  It's best to get your installs set up before we proceed. Everything you do from a livecd is lost every time you reboot because the livecd doesn't save anything to disk. Snowhog and others can walk you through the process. It basically involves defragging to prepare your windows partition(so you have empty space at the end of the partition) turning off restore points under windows, and then using the live cd installer under linux to shrink the partition and setup root and swap partitions for linux. The linux installer pretty much takes care of the dual boot stuff, from that point, if it sees a valid windows partition.
                  You don't need a lot of space for linux(maybe 10GB if you have plenty of space but you can get by with less), since you can use the windows partition for your data. This way both linux and windows can access your data.

I'm sure others will fill in the details.
                  Then we can proceed with the modem.

Comment

Ok, i will prepare for that step, backup all data i really need, and then, you say i need kubuntu install disk or kubuntu live disk?

Basically, i have already two partitions, one for windoze 30gb and one for everything else which is 130 gb so space wont be the problem. I have sata harddrive, but since kubuntu already saw that and installed itself earlier i suppose that wont be a problem?

Comment

Partitioning Windows and Ubuntu by psychocats is a good guide to review for partition planning. There are also good HOWTOs in the Forum on dual booting, as previously stated.

Comment

So, partition manager is out of the option, i just need to defragment my harddrive and then repartition whem i install kubuntu?

Comment

...but since kubuntu already saw that and installed itself earlier i suppose that wont be a problem?
                          So I'm a little confused now. Do you already have Kubuntu installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            ...but since kubuntu already saw that and installed itself earlier i suppose that wont be a problem?
                            So I'm a little confused now. Do you already have Kubuntu installed?
                            No. Installed and could not get some things to work ( which i mentioned earlier ) then installed windoze to search for help, etc...

Comment

So, let's clarify.
                              1. You have one SATA HD that's approximately 160G in size. Yes?
                              2. You currently have only Windoze installed on it. Yes?
                              If 'yes' to #2, the drive is currently partitioned so that you see drives C: and D: Yes?

Comment

Working...
                              X